Flops' Friday mini blog

Reaction score
Your blog Floppy has reminded me that I need to apply for my bus pass as we now live in the country and have one bus a day and I gave up my car after we moved here and the wife uses hers for work so mostly I am without transport. I am with you on your comment about Cameron & Clegg. I did not reply to your bicycle query as the last time I had a bike was in the early 80's when I was a retained fireman before going full time. Well I used to park the bike by the back door chained to the fence and one day early in the morning the bells went down and rushed out only to find some nice person had stolen the front wheel and had to run to the fire station but I still managed to catch the appliance. After that my enthusiasm for bicycles wained, the only place I know is Halfords and someone else advised that. That is the trouble about getting old bits ether sotp working or they fall off but never mind keep smiling.:lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
The Bus Pass is a wonderful thing. :)

We have a half hourly service to the next two villages both of which have good restaurants. We tend to go every Wednesday lunch time to one or the other and it means we can have a bottle of wine with no worries about having to drive back home. :D

Have also used it in other parts of the country. Good to drive to the outskirts of York and then get the Park and Ride into the city centre.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just wanting to wish you all the best for Friday, Flopps. Hope all goes exceedingly well, will be thinking of you.:thumb:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Thoughts are with you Tony...hoping so much for good news mate x

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hiya everybody peeps, update. Here’s part of an email I sent an American lady friend of mine I met on a Texas based forum about 8 years ago, I guess you could call us ‘good virtual friends’ and we correspond frequently. Rather than type all this out again I’ll just copy & paste, this was sent two days ago:

The lump on my tongue is still there and it’s quite painful. It may have got a little bigger, not sure. Have been doing salt water mouth washes and using ointment, makes no difference except to say they do ease the pain a great deal. A week after I saw the consultant I visited dentist and she said the lump was ‘very suspicious’ and urged me to get a biopsy on it as soon as possible. Which pretty much said she thought it was cancer. So I have been living in a constant state of anxiety ever since and I am very scared.

But this dentist, she’s young, about 25, Indian/asian, decidedly dull looking and a bit fat. Sorry, but that’s the truth. She’s still under the tutelage of the senior dentists and has to consult them to discuss any decisions she might make. From the start I sensed an unease about her. When she extracted a tooth from me recently she warned me that as the bone was exposed and if an infection set into the bone, it may lead to my whole jaw being removed. Now, I knew this thing, I was well briefed five or six years ago on this, radio and chemotherapy weakens immune system, but she was the first one since to mention it again. I looked in her eyes and I sensed she was getting some sense of pleasure by messing up my head. Plus, in six years at this dentists place, not one gum injection has ever hurt. But hers did, and really badly. Then she tells me my lump is ‘Very suspicious’ She even called over a male student to study it, trying to confirm to me even more it’s cancer. So make of that what you will, after all this time I reckon I can judge people fairly well and I think our young dentist may be a rogue.

Here’s the letter from my consultant to my GP (General Practitioner, family doctor) from after I first saw him:

‘It was a pleasure to review Mr Stompus in the head and neck clinic. He remains well with no evidence in the primary site and the neck.

He recently was complaining of a traumatic ulcer when he bit his tongue on the left side. He was eating a sharp object which was dry. The area is slowly healing. It is very painful. It looks like a traumatic ulcer. I have given him some Orobase ointment to be applied topically for the next 2 weeks and I will see him back at that time just to check there are no problems’

All well and good but this Friday when I see him again it will have been five weeks since I saw him, not 2 weeks. Maybe that’s because he considers it non-urgent? They are very busy after all, lots of cancer about. And it’s now been eight weeks since I first noticed the lump. So I’m really not sure. But I sure as hell am worried. We shall see what transpires. I expect when I see him he will book me in for a biopsy and then for some surgery to remove whatever the hell this thing is. I would imagine if biopsy reveals cancer I’m pretty much messed up one way or the other. The whole thing about this though is mostly the way it’s messin’ with my head, it’s horrible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And so this morning I go to see the consultant again. It was a very brief meeting, I was in and out in around ten minutes. To sum up: He said he still wasn’t worried about it; it hadn’t, in his opinion, got bigger; the fact it is (very) painful is good, cancer doesn’t hurt in early stages; and he reminded me that my immune system in that area is pretty much shot since radio and chemotherapies carried out meaning that where most folk’s immune system would clear up an ulcer, mine probably couldn’t cope with an aggressive ulcer. Also, the fact I don’t produce much saliva since treatment means the ulcer could also thrive as a human’s saliva is a natural medicine against oral nasties.

So he’s booked me in for surgery in two or three weeks time and will cut the ulcer out and stitch the incision on my tongue together. He tells me it will be very sore for a week or two but I’m having trouble eating with the ulcer (if it is an ulcer) anyway so I’ll willingly suffer that to be shot of this thing. Looks like soft or liquid foods for a little while then. I was offered local numbing of tongue for surgery or mild anaesthetic and after he described what he was going to do I opted for the mild knockout – coward eh? ;) Then once he’s removed the lump they will perform a biopsy on it and in his words ‘Just to remove all doubt’. I am still scared as hell but I caught the train home from London Bridge feeling decidedly uplifted, my main man rates my chances much higher than some uppity sadist dentist, who, I have just recalled, spoke to the students with her like crap as well. Hmm. Not out of the woods yet but feeling better. So that’s Emergency Ward 10 (who remembers that, lol) onto other things.

My daughter has moved out, and on Wednesday I visited her new home and fitted a new ceiling lamp in her bedroom, fitted TV bracket to wall and also fixed a big mirror to the wall for her. As I don’t have a car at the moment and my tools are heavy, her mother (my ex number 2) is visiting and offered to pick me and my tools up and after the work bring me home again. Now I haven’t spoken to Gill apart from a cursory nod and spoken ‘hello’ at family gatherings for ten years so I was a little nervous. But I shouldn’t have worried really, the conversation was a little stiff, I think we were both feeling a little odd, but we didn’t attempt to tear each other’s throats out and we didn’t argue. In fact we chatted amicably the whole time. I guess time heals eh? She is now working as a carer and also buys up antique furniture, restores it and sells on for a profit and I said to her ‘good for you’ whilst thinking ‘that’s a man’s job’ lol Me? Sexist pig? Never! Heehee At one point she also said ‘You must agree Tony, we did manage to produce some beautiful daughters’. Well, I think that’s true but it kinda embarrassed me.So I said ‘that’s a bit of a girly thing to say and I feel awkward but yes, I suppose we did’. Kinda threw me, that one.

My mate Fat Guts visited on Tuesday, was good to see him, took my mind off possible cancer, he drank most of my coffee, we talked, we reminisced and designed electronic audio circuits, true nerds eh? Fat Guts (Peter) is now diabetic and has to inject himself with insulin everyday, I’m not sure I could do that. He’s six years younger than me but still, ain’t age just wonderful?

Recently it was late in the evening and I was, as usual, tiddly at that time of night and I spotted a Lenco GL75 turntable for sale on Ebay. I already have one but something compelled me to bid for it. And bloody hell, I won it. Cost me £67.55 including postage and it works very well. It was just the chassis but that is actually a good price, they’re sought after and fetching good money.

I have now stripped it down made a plywood template for it’s plinth, taken the arm off, given it a thorough service with grease and oil involved and cleaned it up a bit. Have also removed arm lift mechanism, not needed.

I intend to spray turntable base glossy black and mount in a slate plinth. Have just had quote from local monumental stone mason to make plinth for £180. If that sounds a lot it’s actually very good, have a look at this link for a commercially available product: http://www.slate-audio.co.uk/page8.htm That’s for a Garrard 401 but they are making one for Lenco GL75 that will be about the same price. So-called ‘High end Hi-Fi’ is often sold at inflated prices to appeal, perhaps, to snob value, often same thing can be made at home for a helluva lot less. May not look so good but we’re talking sound here, not aesthetics.

I also have a Decca Pivot arm that just happens, conveniently, to drop into Goldring arm mount hole perfectly plus I’ll be fitting a Denon 103 moving coil cartridge, now costing £128 instead of the £108 I paid for one almost two years ago. Will post pics when it’s finished.

Anyhow, that’s what’s going on with me, haven’t rabbited on about Gamez but been having a lot of fun on the Xbox 360 lately, managed to get past a few ‘stuck spots’ with a little perseverance and felt good about that.

Closing note: films. I am never, ever, up to date in what I watch, always about 6 months behind but it is SO much cheaper that way. So, watched Thor – loved it. And last night watched Hugo. That’s my kind of film, thoroughly enchanting. I thought ‘Blow me, that geezer playing the policeman with the gammy leg looks like Ali G/Borat.’ And yes, it was him, Mr Cohen, playing the part. If you like films that are a little different, engage the emotions and introduce interesting characters, check out Hugo.

Goodnight folks, hope you’re all well :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hiya Flopps :wave:

It's good to hear that your Consultant chappie is still confident that your painful ulcer isn't cancerous - great news. Although probably not truly relaxing for you, until you've had the procedure to be rid of it.

He sounds like a good man.... unlike that little sadist who has been messing with the Floppington molars! Sheesh! You might want to "accidentally" bite her pinky next time she's about to get busy in the Bootstomp cake-hole. Sounds like she needs to continue practicing on oranges to get her injection technique sorted out. One of our surgery's Hygienists once told me that during training, they begin by injecting fruit, before progressing to taking turns at injecting each other!

Good luck to your daughter in her new home. Judging from the photos you've previously shared with us, I'd have to agree with number 2 ex-wife... you most certainly did produce beautiful daughters. Heehee... are you squirming again? True though. :)

By the way... what did you think of "Avatar" when you finally watched it? It was on TV recently and I began to half-heartedly watch as I did something else. Within a few minutes it had grabbed my full attention, I found it to be gripping and became completely absorbed.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Wishing you well and hoping your worries will diminish just as soon as that that painful lump is history. All the best. :cheers:

Reaction score
:) It sounds like the doctors are not too worried about the lump on your tongue Tony but still taking precautions by taking a biopsy after its removal though. The dentist sounds like a bit of a cow. I think I might think about changing to another practice. It is strange my ex and I get on OK now but it took a while to get back on talking terms but it took a letter from me to her via her solicitor (my daughter in law) telling her that unless she could be civil I did not wish to have any communication with her although should we both attend a family event I would treat her with respect as she was the mother of our children. After that she calmed down and we often ring each other about the kids and mutual friends,

Yes you are going a nasty time and worried to hell over the mouth ulcer but your friends on this site are routing for you and I think probably it is an infection that has got of hand because of your low immunity in that area , hope so anyway and have everything crossed for you.

That was a good find on Ebay you must post photo's of it when you have servicing it if possible a before and after photo would be good, whoops duplicating what you have written looking forward to those photos. Anyway I am looking forward to the photo's anyway.

Last edited:

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
it seems, to me @ least, that you have a solid consultant there, flopps, ~ and i am glad of it. they are not easy to find,,
wishin' the best for you, always : )

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thank you everybody :)

This is my main man, the guy who literally gave me a new lease of life: http://www.headandneckcancercentre.co.uk/who-are-we/the-team/ (2nd one down, Mr Jean-Pierre Jeannon)

Had a phone call tonight, Surgery 1 week today at Guys, be there 7am, may need to have someone collect me cos anaesthetic will make me woozy or may have to stay overnight.

This Wednesday 9am, op assessment to make sure I'm fit enough for a scalpel to cut a lump out of my tongue.

And after, the cut out part will be examined for cancer. Gotta admit I'm scared, very scared.

The consultant/surgeon said my op would be in '1 or 2 weeks' and I replied 'as soon as possible'. It's actually going to be 10 days since appointment that I get op. Of course, now I'm thinking he's brought it forward cos he suspects it's cancer. I'm probably wrong but that's how I think. It's the head games more than anything that make this experience so horrible.

Will take some pix of Goldring turntable and it's progression though I've already disassembled it, should have taken pix on delivery. Ordered slate plinth today and left deposit.

Bought a frequency counter from a guy at Hexus forums, arrived today, have always wanted one of those for servicing/testing/building audio equipment, will go well with oscilloscope; frequency generator; dummy load; impedance meter and voltmeter.

Finished Lego: Harry Potter Years 5-7, really enjoyed that game. On the strength of that bought Lego: Star Wars The Complete Saga on Steam for £15. Not as good as Harry Potter and I can't beat the blasted Pod Racer level though it doesn't really matter cos you can choose most of the game from the word go, play episodes in any order you like.

Also bought Lego: Harry Potter Years 1-4 for Xbox for £15 at local Gamestation store, pretty much more of the same as Years 5-7.

And am really enjoying X-Men: Destiny on Xbox.

That's about it, again, thanks for replies, apreciated :)

Reaction score
:thumb:Glad they are getting you in quick Tony stop you from worrying for to long,,. Looking forward to seeing the photo's of the turntable. I will be thinking of you and have got everything crossed and I am sure everything will go well:nod:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If its any consolation Mr Flopp's I been goin through the ringer too

Had CT scan and Angiogram last tuesday, not a nice experience I would wish on anybody but had to be done after my hospital admittance 5 weeks ago...
Went to see Consultant tonight for ecg and results from Angiogram, so the last week has been hell with my head, imagining all sorts of scenarios depending on what the Cardiologist was going to say, I been on Beta blockers for the last 5 weeks and for the most part have been feeling just ok, but some days I just felt like s**t..

Anyway after all the tests the consultant informs me that they didn't turn up any problems, so I get a clean bill of health, he says it was an electrical impulse problem a bit like Fabrice Muamba suffered 5 weeks ago in all the newspapers..I said if it happens again should I thrust me fingers into the nearest 240v socket, but he said probably best not to try that one..;)

I still don't feel myself though but have to report back in 3 months for another check, and he's kept me on the Beta blockers for the time being as he informs me they help with pulse and heart rhythm..

So you see although the NHS is being sold off and and mutilated doctors and nurses are still doing a good job of getting people in early and getting ops and procedures out the way as quick as they possibly can and I'm sure thats all thats going on with your early op Mr Flopp's.

Will be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery Tony..:nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Granted, your appointment might have been scheduled relatively quickly Flopps, but, your doctor is going to be well aware of the huge anxiety and stress you're feeling right now. Don't forget, there is also a much quicker turn-around for "day-surgery" patients.

I read that piece about him in your linky and wow! His qualifications and history are impressive, aren't they... he sounds like a very competent man who really knows his stuff.

As always, thinking of you and wishing you the very best with the assessment and subsequent surgery.

It's interesting to see that you enjoyed the Harry Potter game. I've been tempted to try it, but was a tad put-off by the cartoonified characters. A bit silly of me really, because looking at the trailers, the game looks as if it's quite a lot of fun.

I've just signed-up for the new Guild Wars 2... a bit pricey, but I managed to earn some Brownie points yesterday, after Terry lost one of the lenses from his glasses amongst some dead leaves in the garden. Don't ask... I'm not quite sure how he managed it either. Wearing an older pair of specs, he spent a whole hour searching for the lens without success. I went to help and spotted it - literally within a few seconds! I'm sure he thinks I've got in-built radar now!! Lol Fortunately, I was also able to fix it back into the "metal-and-fishing-line" frame too, so saved him a trip to the Optician. :cool:

Good luck with your turntable project. Looking forward to seeing the pics and liking the sound of the slate plinth. Which colour did you choose?

Once again Flopps, all the very best. :thumb:

To CL - sorry to hear you've been undergoing those tests and still feeling below par. Very glad they didn't turn-up any serious problems. Hope you'll start to feel better very soon. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This Wednesday 9am, op assessment to make sure I'm fit enough for a scalpel to cut a lump out of my tongue.

It sounds like you're in good hands now, so I hope tomorrow goes ok :).

Anyway after all the tests the consultant informs me that they didn't turn up any problems, so I get a clean bill of health

Glad to hear it CL :thumb:. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It sounds like you're in good hands now, so I hope tomorrow goes ok :).

Glad to hear it CL :thumb:. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Sorry to hear about your troubles guys so I'll echo Ian's thoughts. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for comments everybody :)

Sorry to hear about your ticker probs oh crazier-than-a-coconut legs, glad to hear you're out of the woods now, albeit a little dazed and confused from the experience. A few of me mates have undergone same treatment as you and are all fine.

Dunno if you're interested but I had a heart problem ten years ago and I've been on permanent medication ever since, taken daily. Lemme see, there's a mild beta blocker, two diuretics, an aspirin and one I don't really know what it does. I'm supposed to take them daily but for the past coupla years I've hardly bothered, don't know why, laziness perhaps and also the two diuretics make a person want to widdle quite a lot wwhich can be inconvenient sometimes.

I had what was termed 'heart failure' though to me that sounded like if a person suffered heart failure they'd drop brown bread but not so it seems, the name just means heart not working properly. One of my valves was beating irregularly which led to swollen ankles and heavy fluid pushing against the lungs. There's more to this tale but I'll skip over the finer details.

Three months later had heart scan and I was ok, heart been ok ever since apart from occasional high blood pressure. Shortly before probs kicked in, in June '02' I had a few probs. Let me consider, marriage split up, lost house, wife, children and at the same time myself and my business partners decided we should wrap up the company as through no fault of our own we'd lost our three main customers and it did not look good. So we quit.

So basically suddenly I was alone, homeless and out of work. As one might imagine dear chap, this messed with my head somewhat and I was suffering from a great deal of stress. The heart doctors were pretty much convinced the stress was what caused the ticker probs and some years later when I related my sorry tale to my oncologist she said it was very likely that time may have acted as a catalyst to help the cancer start.

So, the lesson to be learnt from my experience is, basically - chill :) It's as simple as that. As all those current greetings cards and posters are so fond of proclaiming - keep calm and carry on :thumb: This is also an influencing factor in my not getting wound up by ignoble rags like the Daily Mail and a veritable army of grumpy gits moaning that the country has gone to the dogs.

No no, me stay cool as a cucumber innit ;)

Ask a Question