Linux Mint: great splash screen...but won't work. Sticking withWindows XP.

  • Start date Start date
RayLopez99 <[email protected]> écrivait news:b47d62cb-61b5-4cdb- bcc5-

I know my provider uses PPPoE because I must choose PPPoE in the "modem"
configuration page and I think DSLs connections that use usernames and
passwords are always PPPoE

You always have to configure PPPoE because you must at least enter
username and password, I guess with a liveCD, it would be at every boot
and with a permanent HD installation you do it once.

I mean with a liveCD WITHOUT a router you must configure at every boot.

RayLopez99 said:
That's OK. Some doubters also did not believe me when I tried to get
Puppy Linux running on a 15 year old Pentium II (that was running
Windows 2000). It had something like 256 MB RAM and a 2 GB HD--and I
got Puppy to run, even posting from Firefox to COLA! It was pretty
amazing. It was just an experiment. And I still bashed Linux
afterwards, but what I'm saying is that I don't lie about stuff as
much as my detractors claim. When I'm trolling you know it, not like
now. Anyway sorry about any insults earlier. Bye for now...bedtime
for bonzo it's 3: 30 AM Athens time to crash...

RL

"It was amazing... but I bashed linux anyway..."

"I don't lie as much as my detractors claim..."

A bigger problem is your apparent belief that the troll GayDopehead69 was
actually posting in earnest.

You are insulting gays, you filthy homophobic bastard.

Screw you :-p

Because he's a joke.

The poster identifying as Ray Lopez has been posting a fantasy concerning
installing a GNU/Linux system in various Linux news groups for his alleged
girl friend for the past six months or so, if not longer.

Marti said:
Screw you :-p

You'd like to. :-P

--
[tv]

President and CEO, Trollus Amongus LLC

If you are close enough to read this, I am close enough to slam on my brakes
and sue you.

I say that because that was my experience - ISP's provided there own
PPPoE software instead. But it is a very long time since I've had the
misfortune of having to deal with PPPoE directly from a windows machine.
It may even be the case that it was W2K rather than XP. So you say XP
supports PPPoE, then I guess it does, and I've learned something here.
It's irrelevant for a country like Norway where ISPs use 21st century
technology, and where most households have a NAT router, but I thank you
for correcting me anyway.

It's possible that W2K didn't support PPPoE because WinME didn't support
it and was released a few months after W2K.

RayLopez99 <[email protected]> écrivait (e-mail address removed):
I know my provider uses PPPoE because I must choose PPPoE in the "modem"
configuration page and I think DSLs connections that use usernames and
passwords are always PPPoE

You always have to configure PPPoE because you must at least enter
username and password, I guess with a liveCD, it would be at every boot
and with a permanent HD installation you do it once.

When I tried LiveCD using Mint Linux I had no username or password.
But again, I used a Asus hub inbetween the Speedtouch DSL Modem Plus
Router (all in one package) and my PC--this new piece of hardware by
Asus was the key to getting Linux to talk to the Speedtouch hardware.
But when I first setup the DSL modem + router, years ago (2004 or 2005
I think!), Speedtouch asked for a username plus password--but, here is
the key: I *think* this was for the hardware firewall setup. Because
i recall after supplying username plus password I was given choices
(through my browser, talking to the Speedtouch DSL modem + router)
about things like "Block all ads" (which I selected, to my regret,
because I think pages load faster if you accept ads--I cannot prove
this, but that is my hunch), and "Parental controls" (block known porn
sites, which I did not check), and other such settings. I can log on
and check...haven't done so in years,and see what else is selected.
Bottom line: I think if PPPoE is being done, it is stored in the
Speedtouch flashRAM (EEPROM? Or whatever) and not on my hard drive--
does this make sense? Or OTENET is not doing PPPoE at all, but
something else, something similar, but Speedtouch "expects" to either
talk to Windows, or, to talk to the Asus hub which "fools" Speedtouch
into thinking it is talking to a Windows machine. Asus hub was the
key to my success using Linux Mint Live CD-- for anybody else reading
this thread in the future.

RL

[...]

With my previous ISP, the username/password was set in my Linksys router
so any computer with a working ethernet port connected to the router
could access the net. When I removed the router and connect the "modem"
directly in the computer, I had to create a network connection in
Windows XP or use a third party connection software for Windows ME.

With my new ISP, they supply a DSL modem/router like this :

http://www.pace.com/universal/gateways/2wire/gateway-platforms/homeportal
-2000-series/

I don't think I can bypass the router, I didn't try though.

Tried Linux Mint today on the Live CD. I had just downloaded this
Live CD and burned it today, so it's the latest version.

First, and foremost it turns out, it had a great, beautiful splash
screen. Nice graphics. I also develop apps for Windows and I can tell
you making a program look good is a big deal. Hat's off to the
graphic artist, whoever he or she was.

Give it up. You are clearly not yet at the level of understanding computers
needed to deal with linux.

Stick with MS products until you learn enough about computers to have a
rational opinion on the subject.

--
Democracy does not promote the good.
It regulates the evil.

        Stick with MS products until you learn enough about computers to have a
rational opinion on the subject.

--
Democracy does not promote the good.
It regulates the evil.
-- The Iron Webmaster, 4290
 http://www.giwersworld.org/bible/sewer-bible.phtmla15
Sat Nov 27 10:51:11 EST 2010

Right. I code in Windows, and my stuff is world class. It would blow
your mind if you saw it. So do stick with Linux--I won't miss you at
all. Stay with your 1% market share friends--you deserve them.

RL

Right. I code in Windows, and my stuff is world class.  It would blow
your mind if you saw it.  So do stick with Linux--I won't miss you at
all.  Stay with your 1% market share friends--you deserve them.

Please name a single example. Ideally two.

Back
Top