program to mount a HD with broken index (?)?

  • Start date Start date
Squeeze said:
Rod Speed wrote
Nonsense.

Your sig is supposed to be last, with a line with -- on it by itself in front of it, you stupid pseudokraut.
With intermittent faults one uses the exerciser portion of a diagnostic.

Pity that doesnt MAKE SURE that is a good drive, you stupid pseudokraut.
Or just use Bart's DiskTool.

Pity that doesnt MAKE SURE that is a good drive, you stupid pseudokraut.

larry moe 'n curly wrote in news:[email protected]
www.hddguru.com has some diagnostics,
including the self-booting MHDD.

Personally I find that one a big disappointment.
A whole lot of feature tool with a little bit of drive fitness test in it.
A bit of a jack of all trades, master of none.
Is it possible to remove the HD from the USB enclosure and plug it
directly to a parallel or serial IDE connector so that the HD
manufacturer's own diagnostics can be run on it? Could the HD itself
be OK but the USB enclosure be the problem?
Some enclosures have internal power supplies that are terribly built.

Which can lead to bad writes ('bad' sectors).

Update: I've formatted it on Vista and using it as my backup drive. If
I mount it on Vista, it asks to check the integrity of the disk every
time. I skip it each time. Mounting on XP is not a problem. I won't
trust important data on this drive and is looking for another drive as
my main drive.

I think it start having problem because I bring it to work. My table
is not that stable that it shakes a little bit when typing or when I
place my arms on it. How much shock can a modern HD resist? Will minor
shake cause the HD to malfunction? How long do I need to wait before
moving a HD after powering it off? The current 500GB and above HDs in
the market do not appear to be stable from reading the users' reviews.

Thanks for any advice,

Back
Top