XP Pro SP2 cannot find server

  • Start date Start date

Donald Begezda

Hello,
I have recently installed SP2 on a laptop. I followed instructions in
fixyourwindows.com on how to successfully install SP2.
It was fine for a day or two.
I have a dial up connection. My modem is fine. I have no spyware or viri.
I can connect to my ISP but when I open IE6 I get cannot find server and
cannot display this page. I cannot connect to any site, zero zilch. I also
cannot get my OE mail.
I shut off SP2 firewall and pop-up blocker to no avail.
I am assuming this is a SP2 problem but would appreciate any fixes.

TIA
Don

As a follow up this may not be a SP2 issue, I uninstalled SP2 and I still
have problems. Any help will be appreciated.
Don

Hi Donald :-)

Try the following and see if it helps:

Download, install and run LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Also, download, install and run WINSOCKXPFIX available at:
and
WinsockXP Fix- WinXP
Also, with instructions, at
http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm
also
From LavaSoft- all versions of Windows-
http://digital-solutions.co.uk/lavasoft/whndnfix.zip
also ....
(NOTE: It is reported that in XP SP2, the command netsh winsock reset
will fix this problem without the need for these programs.)

or ........

Winsock Fix Utility
http://www.dfwonline.net/files/WinsockFix.zip

If these steps do not resolve your problem, please post back to this thread
with the details and any error messages.

Hope this helps

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

news:[email protected]...

Back