XML-file-extensions

  • Start date Start date

Markus Wildgruber

Hi!

We have some special type of xml file with the extension xrd. When editing
those files in Visual Studio.NET, a plain text editor is used.

When using Visual Studio.NET, some file types (*.Xml, app.config) are
recognized as xml files and you can edit them using the xml editor (with
tag-highlighting and so on).

Is there a way to register our own file type in order to be able to edit it
with the xml editor?

TIA,

Markus

Markus Wildgruber said:
Hi!

We have some special type of xml file with the extension xrd. When editing
those files in Visual Studio.NET, a plain text editor is used.

When using Visual Studio.NET, some file types (*.Xml, app.config) are
recognized as xml files and you can edit them using the xml editor (with
tag-highlighting and so on).

Is there a way to register our own file type in order to be able to edit it
with the xml editor?

TIA,

Markus

Right-click the file, "open with" -> then you can select the editor to use.
You can also specify a default editor.

Hans Kesting

Hi Markus,

Just as Hans said, you can use Right click, select "Open with", then you
can invoke the "Open with" dialog, check the "Always use the selected
program to open this kind of file", then you can select your wanted editor
to edit this file type.

Also, you can select menu Tools->Folder Options in Windows Explorer. Change
to "file types" tab page, then you can register a new file extension and
"open with".

Hope this helps,

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Markus Wildgruber" <[email protected]>
| Subject: XML-file-extensions
| Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:23:04 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
|
| Hi!
|
| We have some special type of xml file with the extension xrd. When editing
| those files in Visual Studio.NET, a plain text editor is used.
|
| When using Visual Studio.NET, some file types (*.Xml, app.config) are
| recognized as xml files and you can edit them using the xml editor (with
| tag-highlighting and so on).
|
| Is there a way to register our own file type in order to be able to edit
it
| with the xml editor?
|
| TIA,
|
| Markus