Wireless Network Setup Problem

D

Don R

Greetings,
I'm trying to set up a cable network using a Linksys WRT54G Broadband Router. I have two computers connected by cable to the router. I can connect to the internet with both computers and both computers show up on My Network Places. But I cannot access one computer from the other. The error message is as follows

\\GA-7vxp is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

OK

I've checked that Printer and File Sharing is turned on. I've also checked the Windows XP firewall settings. Any idea what I might be overlooking? Can a wireless router be used with two cable connections like a cable router? The router is a Linksys WRT54G and I'm running Windows XP Home Ed. with SP2 installed. I've run out of ideas and places to look. Hope someone can help. Thanks, Don R

G

The user account and password you use on one machine must match a user
account and password on the other. Or use Windows Explorer - Map Network
Drive and select Connect using a different user name, which will be a user
account and password on the machine you are wanting to connect to.

D

Don R

David,
A good tip, but it didn't work. I could not access the remote folder in order to assign a network drive letter to it. Must be something else. Any other ideas?
Don R

C

ColTom2

Do you have Zone Alarm installed? If so, you need to add computers/networks
to Trusted Zone.

David,
A good tip, but it didn't work. I could not access the remote folder in
order to assign a network drive letter to it. Must be something else. Any
other ideas?
Don R

G

Go to Linksys.com> Support> Knowledge Base> Click on the first thread (answer
ID # 1650) scroll down and click on "Netset Assistant". Follow the steps and
Linksys will automatically configure your router. Good Luck!

D

Don R

Wow! That's what the problem was. I turned Zone Alarm Off and everything works. Then went in and added the IP Address and Subnet Mask to Zone Alarm's Trusted Zone.
I've spent the past 8 hours on this problem. You've saved the day for me. Thanks again for the help.
Don R

D

Don R

The problem turned out to be Zone Alarm. See my post to ColTom2. He came up the answer. Can't tell you all how grateful I am for the help that's available here on this news group. Have a great day.
Don R

D

Don R

Wow, good guess! I did have Zone Alarm and it was the problem. Turned Zone Alarm off and everything worked. Then I added my network as a trusted site and turned ZA back on. Thanks for the help. Don R

Ask a Question