Windows Update Low Disk Space

  • Start date Start date

johndoe

My system partition is slowly filling up, the cause seems to be the
downloaded windows updates.
Is it safe to delete the uninstall directories that are created? (they look
like this, $NTuninstallxxx$)

I also have a folder called ServicePackFiles in the WinNT directory, there
is an I386 folder beneath
it containing applicaiton and dll files. Looks like the typical service pack
installation directory but without
any setup launch file. Does anyone know if that is safe to delete. Are these
just some service pack install files that haven't been cleaned up?

I just answered part of my own question regarding the ServicePackFiles
directory.
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 290402

Still curious about the other $NTuninstallxxx$ that are created by windows
update.

You can remove these but only if you are happy that you will not be able to
uninstall the updates afterwards.

--------------------
From: "johndoe" <johndoe@x>
Subject: Windows Update Low Disk Space
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:58:50 +0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update

My system partition is slowly filling up, the cause seems to be the
downloaded windows updates.
Is it safe to delete the uninstall directories that are created? (they look
like this, $NTuninstallxxx$)

I also have a folder called ServicePackFiles in the WinNT directory, there
is an I386 folder beneath
it containing applicaiton and dll files. Looks like the typical service pack
installation directory but without
any setup launch file. Does anyone know if that is safe to delete. Are these
just some service pack install files that haven't been cleaned up?
-----

If you are comfortable with the updates and not being able to uninstall them later then the $NTuninstallxxx$ folders are save
to remove. This will leave the entries in Add/Remove Programs but they will not work any longer. You may want to leave
these so you can see what you have installed or you can remove them from the regitry under the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

The ServicePackFiles\I386 folder is there to be a resource for Windows File Protection. It prevents the system from having
to request the Service Pack CD when it needs to replace a Service Pack file. I would leave this.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Back
Top