Windows Update loses connection with server

C

Conan Kelly

Hello all,

I'm on dial-up using Win XP Pro SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 8200.

Every time Windows (Microsoft) Automatic Updates is trying to download updates, I will only download for 5-10 mins and then quits
downloading. So when I have a large amount of downloads, I can only download a couple percentage points at a time. When this
connection gets lost, I'm still dialed-up, I can still surf and get/send email, it is just the updates that no longer will download.

(side note: now with this new feature of Automatic Updates where you can click the "Shutdown and install updates", I can't put my
machine in standby while it is in the process of downloading updates, even if there are no updates to install. Downloading 5-10
updates totaling several MB's, it has been a week and I'm only at 50% and I haven't been able to put my machine in standby, I've had
to shut it down each time I want to power down).

I don't know for sure if a logoff-logon will let me continue to download, or if the machine requires a reboot to continue. We have
just been Shutting down completely each time, so I know that a reboot will work. Have not yet tried a logoff-logon.

Has anyone experience this problem with Automatic Updates? Anyone know how I can fix this so it won't lose it's connection and I
will be able to download all the updates in one sitting (even if that sitting takes a couple of hours)?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

G

Hi,

If you are using automatic updates and you are on a dial up line then it
makes sense to select a few updates for download, complete the download and
then rerun windows update and so on. some files are huge in size and will
time out after a period of inactivity (due to the low speed of dial up). So
that is why your automatic updates fails and never completes.

Ask a Question