Windows Search

Roadrunner News

How does one search for file names containing the underscore "_" character?
I've tried simply typing the character in the search box, I've tried *_*,*_,
_*, Name:_ (also with the previous permutations). The Help says that search
looks for words after punctuation characters such as & and _. Does that mean
these characters aren't searchable? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Dave

dev

/Roadrunner News/ said:
How does one search for file names containing the underscore "_" character?
I've tried simply typing the character in the search box, I've tried *_*,*_,
_*, Name:_ (also with the previous permutations). The Help says that search
looks for words after punctuation characters such as & and _. Does that mean
these characters aren't searchable? What am I missing?

You are missing Agent Ransack, a free search utility that will do this
in mere seconds - as just tested.

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download.aspx

An amazingly helpful search utility

dev

/Roadrunner News/ said:
How does one search for file names containing the underscore "_" character?
I've tried simply typing the character in the search box, I've tried *_*,*_,
_*, Name:_ (also with the previous permutations). The Help says that search
looks for words after punctuation characters such as & and _. Does that mean
these characters aren't searchable? What am I missing?

But, to be fair...

Open Explorer and search for _

When it finds nothing, click on the ADVANCED SEARCH link
Type _ into the name box and check the "include non-indexed, hidden,
system files" box

SEARCH

Adam Albright

/Roadrunner News/ said:

But, to be fair...

Open Explorer and search for _

When it finds nothing, click on the ADVANCED SEARCH link
Type _ into the name box and check the "include non-indexed, hidden,
system files" box

SEARCH

Vista's search has gotten better, but still can throw results off
depending on what/how you search and even what's contained in a file's
header.

Example:

Just for fun I went to a folder with thousands of images where I have
a bunch of photos I know start with "195" in their file name. So
searching for that, Vista returned about 50 hits, all with "195" in
their name as you would expect. However it also returned a file who's
name was only "26A", or nothing at all close to "195".

So what happened? Looking at the details of the file only one thing
matched the search string. In the file's diminsion's column was this
file's size, which no surprise, duh...turned out to be 1496 x 1959,
thus Vista sees this as a "hit", well sort of I guess. ;-)

So I opened file 26A in Photoshop and resized it and searched again,
indeed that was what caused it to be included in the original search
results.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Do a search in the File Management folder for:

The Windows Vista search facility.

You'll find a question and a reply that may help you. Or just go look
in today's messages.

Sorry not to give you a link the message but I don't know how to derive
one for general use.

Select the message in the preview pane. Press Ctrl + F3. This will show the
everything in the email. Look for Message-ID (and it is the alpha-number
between the angle brackets), EG your last post had this

So to make a link

If you omit server it will try OE's default mail server.

So to find your message on the default server

So to find your message on MS Server

news://msnews.microsoft.com/Message-ID/[email protected]

Of course then we'll know everything about you. Your commercial relationship
with the road runner. The fact you use the software whose name must not be
mentioned.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

I do hope you know what you are talking about -- I certainly don't.
Perhaps you lost your mind as well as your name?

You are the one, moron, that said you didn't know how to do it. If you were
only an idiot you would now know how to derive a link to a message for
general use.
one for general use.

Why would I give directions for a non standard configured computer. I give
directions on factory standard.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Why would I give directions for a non standard configured computer.

I haven't the least idea why you gave any directions at all since I
hadn't actually asked for any. If I had asked I would have said what
software I was using -- and I would not have asked here since it isn't
VISTA software although running under VISTA.

We are allowed to do that I believe without your permission?

1. You saidone for general use.
So I taught you.

2 I said about your softwarementioned.
So you were warned.