Windows Defender.

fwall4

Hello:
I have tried to access the above Newsgroup for the past month and keep
getting a "Service is Temporarily Unavailable" message. Can anyone explain
why this is happening? All other Newsgroups are OK. I am using IE6.0
Thanks for your reply,
Fred

Daave

fwall4 said:
Hello:
I have tried to access the above Newsgroup for the past month and keep
getting a "Service is Temporarily Unavailable" message. Can anyone
explain why this is happening? All other Newsgroups are OK. I am
using IE6.0 Thanks for your reply,
Fred

Your question is too vague.

What *specific* newsgroup are you trying to access? This one, for
instance is called:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Are you perhaps referring to the newsgroups mentioned on this Web page?:

"Newsgroups for Windows Defender: Learn and share information":
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx

If so, they seem to be up and running currently.

Bruce Hagen

Daave said:
Your question is too vague.

What *specific* newsgroup are you trying to access? This one, for
instance is called:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Are you perhaps referring to the newsgroups mentioned on this Web page?:

"Newsgroups for Windows Defender: Learn and share information":
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx

If so, they seem to be up and running currently.

I Don't have the answer, but if you open the link you just provided and
click on any of the newsgroups listed, you will see they are unavailable.

Windows Defender newsgroups
. Announcements

. General questions

. Installation questions

. Application compatibility questions

. Networking questions

. Definition updates

Colin Barnhorst

It is not you. The newsgroup is unavailable. No explanation has been
posted by MS that I have seen.

fwall4

Hello Daave:
Thanks for you prompt reply. I tried accessing the URL that you gave me and
got the instructions what Newsgroups for Windows Defender is all about. But
when I click on "General questions" I still get the "Service Temporarily
Unavailable" message.
Thanks, but no cigar,
Fred

Daave

Then don't click on those links. :)

The groups are up and running (although the clunky Web interface may be
down, which is about par for the course). You need to configure your
news reader properly. I'm able to see recent activity.

<quote>
Note: To view these newsgroups with Outlook Express or another NNTP
newsreader, you might be required to log on using the following
information:
.. Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
.. Account name: privatenews\spyware
.. Password: spyware (case-sensitive)
</quote>

It's working here!

(note that these groups are on a *different* news server, one which
requires logging on)

Daave

Daave said:
The groups are up and running (although the clunky Web interface
may be down, which is about par for the course). You need to
configure your news reader properly. I'm able to see recent activity.

In the event this is something you haven't tried yet, here is more
information:

From http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html :

Getting Tech Support
C. Usenet

Using Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:

http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessing_newsgrousp_with-windows_mail.htm

Other Newsreaders for Windows:

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php - Forte Agent
http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird - the Thunderbird email client also
does newsgroups
http://gravity.tbates.org/ - Super Gravity
http://www.40tude.com/dialog/ - 40Tude
http://xnews.newsguy.com/ - Xnews

PA Bear [MS MVP]

The web-interface to access the Defender newsgroups has been "Out of Order"
for over a month now. This has not affected accessing the newsgroups via
your default newsreader (e.g., Outlook Express).

You'll find instructions on setting up your newsreader to access the
newsgroup on this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx

<QP>
To view these newsgroups with Outlook Express or another NNTP newsreader,
you [will] be required to log on using the following information:

--
OE-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)