Windows XP Windows cannot open the program

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I don't think the problem's a serious one, but here goes. I installed Spybot and Regclean to get rid of unwanted files and spyware and looks like I've deleted too many files. I can access the internet but cannot activate anything in Windows or any other programs like Antispyware as it comes up with a message that Windows cannot open the program. I somehow managed to delete the Regclean and the Spybot(This was a real pain). Please advise on what I need to do in order to restore the system in to running order.
Many thanks.
Nal

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
, I'd be very careful when using reg cleaners - they can often do more harm than good!

To add to Ian's post, it should be common practice that whenever you are doing anything registry related, you always do a back up of the registry...As it goes I think pretty much most of the software I have usedin the past that alters anything in the registry ask wether you want to back it up or not..

Reaction score
Thanks for the Help

Ian Cunningham said:
The easiest thing would be to do a system restore to roll back your system to before you made these changes. There's a handy tutorial on the MS website showing how to do it :)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

FWIW, I'd be very careful when using reg cleaners - they can often do more harm than good!

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the reply and advice. I did go into the MS website as you said and followed the steps. Basically it said that I had to click on Start and then finally click on System Restore. There were two methods suggested and I tried both, but the Error message came up "Windows cannot open....
Is there something else I can try???
Thanks
Nal

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I did back up everything under RegCleaner, however I could not click on the icon and access the backed up details as SpyBot was blocking everything. Through frustration I started the PC under Safe mode and deleted both SpyBot and the RegCleaner in the hope that I would be able to access things like "Add or Delete Programs". Sure enough, SpyBot was gone but it was replaced by the Error Messages"Wndows cannot open...
I used RegCleaner as CastleCops website recommends it for use by users with a basic level of understanding. Off memory I deleted some DOS files, Shell extensions etc.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It could be that your exe extensions are not recognised any more. You can manually add this to the registry if you feel confident:

1. Open My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types.
2. Scroll down the list to find the entry for "EXE" and delete this entry. (If it's not there don't worry because we are goung to create a new entry"
3. Click "New" button and type in "EXE" (without quotes) in the "File Extension:" edit box.
4. Click "Advanced" button and scroll down the "Associated File Type" drop-down list and select "Application"
5. Done! Your .exe files should now launch.

If that doesn't work, you might need to try a repair install using your XP CD.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
I've created the exe files as well and restarted but no luck. When I click on Antivirus icon the message"Windows cannot open..." comes up. When I click on Add or Delete Programs the message "cannot open file DLL32.exe does not exist" comes up on a small pop up.
This PC was installed by a friend(through relatives)and He hasn't left any CDs. Is there anything else I can try???
Thanks.
Nal

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A repair install would be the only thing I can think of unfortunately.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Can you not borrow a Windows disc from a friend ?

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will ask the guy who installed it to come round although he may charge for his time, if not I'll ask around I'm sure someones got a disc.
Thanks again guys.
Nal

Ask a Question