Windows 2000 Connection Limit on File Sharing

  • Start date Start date

Mike H

Hi,

I am running into the connections limit on a Windows 2000
machine. It appears that Windows 2000 will not allow more
than 10 PCs to connect to a single Windows 2000 PC even if
the account used across all machines is the same.

I understand that the proper way to eliminate this problem
is to upgrade to Windows Server. The only question I have
is: which version and what kind of licensing? The primary
usage of the machine is as a file share. Is there a cheap
way of increasing the number of machines that can connect
to a single Windows server machine?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Mike

The connection limit to a Windows 2000 Professional machine is ten users
and as far as I know you cannot work around it other than install the
server product and then you do not want to install the MSDN version or the
NFR version because these products also have a restriction. You want the
released version of the Server product for the number of users you are
needing.
Joe Griffin[MS]
From: "Mike H" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Mike H" <[email protected]>
Subject: Windows 2000 Connection Limit on File Sharing
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:14:15 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

Hi,

I am running into the connections limit on a Windows 2000
machine. It appears that Windows 2000 will not allow more
than 10 PCs to connect to a single Windows 2000 PC even if
the account used across all machines is the same.

I understand that the proper way to eliminate this problem
is to upgrade to Windows Server. The only question I have
is: which version and what kind of licensing? The primary
usage of the machine is as a file share. Is there a cheap
way of increasing the number of machines that can connect
to a single Windows server machine?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks! Do you happen to know which server product (Server
2003, Small Business Server 2003, Storage Server 2003)
would be best/cheapest? The only reason I see us moving to
Windows Server is to get past the connection limit of 10.
I don't think there are any other features that we would
use above those already in Win2k Professional.

Do I have to purchase a license for each connection or
each user? I only have a single user but want to connect
up to 15-20 machines to the server. Is it possible to do
this without spending $1k+?

Thanks again,

Mike

Back