Will I be able to use Upgrade Version of Vista?

  • Start date Start date

Chris

I have a full copy of 98 and an upgrade version of XP.
Will I be able to use Upgrade Version of Vista?
Or have to buy the full retail?

I dont see why it wouldn't work. You will upgrade from 98 to XP to Vista. My
only warning, I have not had good experiences with upgrades, sometimes it
can cause system slow downs, unexpected problems, and doing that many
upgrades may be pushing it. I would recomend a full copy, but it will
upgrade.
-Cullen Dudas

No - I would want to do a clean install of Vista.
Like I do with the upgrade XP.
I do a clean install of XP.
It just asks me to insert the 98 CD to qualify.
Would I have to insert both 98 and XP CDs at some stage?

As far as anyone knows now, you will have to do the install from within your
activated XP OS. You will have to do the clean install to a separate
partition, but your XP os should qualify.

Vista Upgrade Editions may not do that the same way as XP. There are
several threads on that subject running on here right now. Hold off until
that has been clarified. My advice is to buy the full edition so you don't
have to worry about it.

Colin said:
Vista Upgrade Editions may not do that the same way as XP. There are
several threads on that subject running on here right now. Hold off until
that has been clarified. My advice is to buy the full edition so you don't
have to worry about it.

My advice is not to buy it until it's got at least as far as SP2, if
then. Personally, I will continue to use XP but I am setting up a dual
boot to Ubuntu and, once I learn that, bye, bye, Windows and all their
anti piracy "features".

Alias

I have a full copy of 98 and an upgrade version of XP.
Will I be able to use Upgrade Version of Vista?
Or have to buy the full retail?
-- Chris

But an OEM copy with whatever piece of hardware is needed to qualify for an
OEM licence (as long as you don't want to transfer the licence to another
machine in the future)

I'd be strangely suprised if the upgrade disk isn't bootable (for repair
purposes)

Colin T

Cullen said:
I dont see why it wouldn't work. You will upgrade from 98 to XP to Vista.
My only warning, I have not had good experiences with upgrades, sometimes
it can cause system slow downs, unexpected problems, and doing that many
upgrades may be pushing it. I would recomend a full copy, but it will
upgrade.
-Cullen Dudas

I have a full copy of 98 and an upgrade version of XP.
Will I be able to use Upgrade Version of Vista?
Or have to buy the full retail?
-- Chris

I have to TOTALY disagree with you. Wait until SP2? No, It is an excellent
OS IMO. So please do some research, Post your specs here first.
-Cullen Dudas

Chris said:
No - I would want to do a clean install of Vista.
Like I do with the upgrade XP.
I do a clean install of XP.
It just asks me to insert the 98 CD to qualify.
Would I have to insert both 98 and XP CDs at some stage?

I dont see why it wouldn't work. You will upgrade from 98 to XP to
Vista. My only warning, I have not had good experiences with upgrades,
sometimes it can cause system slow downs, unexpected problems, and
doing that many upgrades may be pushing it. I would recomend a full
copy, but it will upgrade.
-Cullen Dudas

I have a full copy of 98 and an upgrade version of XP.
Will I be able to use Upgrade Version of Vista?
Or have to buy the full retail?
-- Chris

I am so disillusioned by the whole scenario. My understanding at this point
is that I cannot do a clean install of Vista from an upgrade disk. I will
have a non-bootable disk. Therefore, I will not have access to the repair
diagnostics on the Vista disk. I will be forced to buy the full version. Is
this correct? BTW, if you do not know for certain about Vista, please do not
reply to my note. I really want clarification from Microsoft please.

Chris said:
No - I would want to do a clean install of Vista.
Like I do with the upgrade XP.
I do a clean install of XP.
It just asks me to insert the 98 CD to qualify.
Would I have to insert both 98 and XP CDs at some stage?

I dont see why it wouldn't work. You will upgrade from 98 to XP to Vista.
My only warning, I have not had good experiences with upgrades, sometimes
it can cause system slow downs, unexpected problems, and doing that many
upgrades may be pushing it. I would recomend a full copy, but it will
upgrade.
-Cullen Dudas

I have a full copy of 98 and an upgrade version of XP.
Will I be able to use Upgrade Version of Vista?
Or have to buy the full retail?
-- Chris

No, you can boot to the disc and use Vista's AWESOME repair functions
-Cullen Dudas

No - I would want to do a clean install of Vista.
Like I do with the upgrade XP.
I do a clean install of XP.
It just asks me to insert the 98 CD to qualify.
Would I have to insert both 98 and XP CDs at some stage?

Cullen
I dont see why it wouldn't work. You will upgrade from 98 to XP to
Vista.
My only warning, I have not had good experiences with upgrades,
sometimes
it can cause system slow downs, unexpected problems, and doing that
many
upgrades may be pushing it. I would recomend a full copy, but it will
upgrade.
-Cullen Dudas

I have a full copy of 98 and an upgrade version of XP.
Will I be able to use Upgrade Version of Vista?
Or have to buy the full retail?
-- Chris

That's the problem. You may be speaking from your experience with the
betas, but they are all full editions. What we are hearing is that the
Upgrade editions (which none of us has ever seen) may not be bootable dvd's.

Colin Thompson said:
[...]

No, they are. All the Vista discs in every box are the same, maybe with a
different label. The Ultimate disc is the same as the basic disc. It is the
key that will determine it. So the disc will boot just fine. I have tested
an upgrade, using an upgrade key.
-Cullen Dudas

:

[...]

The product key determines the edition of Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate,
etc) but not whether or not it is a full edition or upgrade edition. The
set of product keys for the full editions are a different set than those for
the upgrade editions. OEM, upgrade, and full product keys have never been
interchangeable in any version of Windows. We were only given full version
product keys with our downloads.

:

[...]

Yes but there was a test where we could use upgrade keys way back in beta 2.
So we could test this specific scenario, it was one that had a very small
amount of people participate
-Cullen Dudas

:

[...]

And yes, the product keys do determine that as well. There is one ISO, thats
not uypgrade and full ISOs, but one
-Cullen Dudas

:

[...]

So did you test installation on a raw drive using just the upgrade edition?

:

[...]

An excellent OS in what ways?

Don't say something vague such as enhanced security, improved networks,
better multimedia experience, and so on.

Please be specific.

Example, enhanced security in terms of what (and how) have been changed and
what problems have been addressed for which cannot be done in XP under the
same scenario, and the benefits are?

I have been doing this research for long enough (including reading its white
paper)and have been reading posts from this and other NG's but all without
any luck and couldn't see any tangible reasons given by people praising this
OS is the "best".

Maybe you could enlighten me? :)

PS: Hardware specs have nothing to do with the unique features, they can
carry out what are there and/or improve performance but they can't solve
bugs or perform what are not included in OS, right?

Cullen said:
I have to TOTALY disagree with you. Wait until SP2? No, It is an
excellent OS IMO. So please do some research, Post your specs here first.
-Cullen Dudas

Pulease. Yes, wait at least, if at all, for SP2. No specs needed. If you
want specs, come back to this newsgroup in February when MS releases the
final beta to the final beta testers, the paying public.

Alias
Alias said:
Colin said:
[...]

If THIS proves to be the case,I may end up getting Vists after all.

:

[...]

Yes, specs DO matter. And it is way to hard for me to explain how the
security have been upgraded. Jim Allchin has said MANY times the
improvements are to vast to explain, and you will see the improvements over
years to come
-Cullen Dudas

Alias said:
Colin Barnhorst wrote:
[...]