What is this in my control panel

  • Start date Start date

I see an icon on my desktop... it is an ace of diamonds.. with some type of foreign text.. I am guessing Korea

so I go to my control panel and there listed among the options.. ie.. add new hardware etc..is this same icon with the same text
I tried to do a search to figure out what it is... and I tried to delete it.. but there is no option to delete it..only to open it!

this is what the text says Äij»²¨ [³ÃÇõå]µµ¿ì¹Ì æ°Ã

please help!!!

Do a search of C drive for *.cpl and see what it brings up. Generally
the Control PaneL options are .cpl files in Win. You may be able to
delete the "ace of diamonds".cpl to get rid of it.

Were I you, finding a strange icon and file, especially in my control
panel, I would check it's dependencies to see if it's linked to any
other oddities.

Also, need I say virus scan....

I see an icon on my desktop... it is an ace of diamonds.. with some type of foreign text.. I am guessing Korean

so I go to my control panel and there listed among the options.. ie.. add new hardware etc..is this same icon with the same text!
I tried to do a search to figure out what it is... and I tried to delete it.. but there is no option to delete it..only to open it!!

this is what the text says Äij»²¨ [³ÃÇõå]µµ¿ì¹Ì æ°Å

please help!!!
~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
(e-mail address removed)
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.

I have someone who has the Ace of Diamonds entry in control panel. The
user has no Ace of Diamonds cpl file. He is running Win 98. Any other
thoughts on this file.
Thanks

Do a search of C drive for *.cpl and see what it brings up. Generally
the Control PaneL options are .cpl files in Win. You may be able to
delete the "ace of diamonds".cpl to get rid of it.

Were I you, finding a strange icon and file, especially in my control
panel, I would check it's dependencies to see if it's linked to any
other oddities.

Also, need I say virus scan....

I see an icon on my desktop... it is an ace of diamonds.. with some type of foreign text.. I am guessing Korean

so I go to my control panel and there listed among the options.. ie.. add new hardware etc..is this same icon with the same text!
I tried to do a search to figure out what it is... and I tried to delete it.. but there is no option to delete it..only to open it!!

this is what the text says Ã?Ã?³»²¨ [³ÃÃ?õå]µµ¿ì¹Ã? æ°Ã?

please help!!!
~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
(e-mail address removed)
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.

This'll seem a little roundbout but bear with me.
Right click on the icon and create a shortcut.
System should balk at putting the shortcut in Control Panel and give you the
option of putting it on the desktop. Let it.
Then you can right click on the same icon on the desktop, bring up the properties,
and see just what exe, cpl, or whatever actual file it's pointing at.
Then it's easier to go take a look at it with Windows Explorer and do virus scans,
trojan scans, view the file in a hex editor, whatever you need to do to figure out
what the hell it is.
Eventually of course, having the name of the offending file, you can excise all
references to it from the registry, and actually delete the file.

[email protected] (Overlord) wrote in message news: said:
[...]

Back
Top