Websites think i run IE 4 instead of the installed IE 6

  • Start date Start date

Im not able to see some websites, because these website think that im running
IE 4 and tell me to update my browser.

Im running version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2
om my WinXP with SP2

This has been going on for quit some time and tried really everything, also
a re-installation after uninstalling it first did not help.

Help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks,
Ruben

Hi,
Check the configuration of any third-party security programs that are
running. Your User Agent information is probably being blocked.
Examples:
Zone Alarm Pro... Private Header Info
NIS... Browser Privacy
Webwasher
There may be others.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Ruben" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Thanks for your suggestion.

I checked everything and have tried it by disabeling things, but guess there
must be something else.

My registry says:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\User Agent]
@="Mozilla/6.0"
"Compatible"="compatible"
"Version"="MSIE"
"Platform"="Windows"

not sure if thats the problem.

(i have Mozilla (firefox) as default browser, but had this problem also when
IE was the default browser.

Ruben

(Courtesey of MVP Mike Burgess) Several of these are known to cause this
problem:

1) Zone Alarm Pro [Private Header Info - enabled?] Reset "Ad Blocking" and
"Cookie Control" to "medium" "Mobile Code Control" = Off

2) Symantec (ISS\NIS) [Enable Browser Privacy - enabled] Active Content -
"Allow All Scripts To Execute" Problem: some sites cannot detect the 128 bit
encryption Solution: Completely remove and reinstall NIS.

3) Any "ad blocking" software that blocks "http_referer" or contains entries
that are blocking access to the desired site.

4) HOSTS file that contains entries that are blocking access to the desired
site.

5) Cookie blocking software that are blocking "required" Cookies.

6) Pop-up blockers that are stripping header\url info.

7) WebWasher Standard Filter/URL Filter

8) Make sure the following entry is not corrupt:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings] "User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0;)"

Hi,
Export (backup) these registry keys and edit (modify) the UserAgent string,
changing "MSIE" to "MSIE 6.0"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0
(I don't have a UserAgent string in this key- XP SP2)

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Ruben" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

thanks for the reply.

I just found what info my useragent sends out:

User agent: Mozilla/6.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; SV1;
TheFreeDictionary.com; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

looks all fine too me, right?

Ruben

Ruben said:
thanks for the reply.

I just found what info my useragent sends out:

User agent: Mozilla/6.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; SV1;
TheFreeDictionary.com; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

looks all fine too me, right?

It should start with Mozilla/4.0, not Mozilla/6.0. The /4.0 refers to
the version of HTML it pretends to support, not the version of the browser.

everything looks like its working great now. have to test some more.

your a life saver, thanks.

Ruben

Back
Top