Web Service in ASP Application

Amy Snyder

I have a classic ASP application and don't plan on converting to .NET.
But, I would like to create a web service using the .NET Framework to
include in this application. Is this possible? If so, how do I go
about doing it?

Thanks!

clintonG

Both types of applications can run in the same web but they
can not run in the same page nor can they share session state
without work-arounds such as a database that is used to
exchange data between the two types of applications.

Google: "asp"+"asp.net"+"session state"

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

that's not true at all. you can build a webservice which integrates into a
..net engine and talks to your asp client using behaviors. The only
requirement is that the webserver support soap and WSDL. here's a link:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/webservice/overview.asp

additionally, you can use XMLHTTP activeX technology to tie client-side
script to .net server-side functionality.

please note that both approaches assume an IE client. Non IE clients do not
support behaviors and some require a plugin for the activeX control.

clintonG

I think you have misunderstood my reply. Which part(s) of my
comments do you consider to be incorrect?

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost"
Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development

Alvin Bruney said:
that's not true at all. you can build a webservice which integrates into a
.net engine and talks to your asp client using behaviors. The only
requirement is that the webserver support soap and WSDL. here's a link:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/webservice/overview.asp

additionally, you can use XMLHTTP activeX technology to tie client-side
script to .net server-side functionality.

please note that both approaches assume an IE client. Non IE clients do not
support behaviors and some require a plugin for the activeX control.

Alvin Bruney
clintonG said:
Both types of applications can run in the same web but they
can not run in the same page nor can they share session state
without work-arounds such as a database that is used to
exchange data between the two types of applications.

Google: "asp"+"asp.net"+"session state"

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost"
Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development
NET (e-mail address removed)

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

I re-read your post and I apparently did misunderstand your reply. I offer
an apology.

Alvin Bruney

Alvin Bruney said:
that's not true at all. you can build a webservice which integrates into
.net engine and talks to your asp client using behaviors. The only
requirement is that the webserver support soap and WSDL. here's a link:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/webservice/overview.asp

additionally, you can use XMLHTTP activeX technology to tie client-side
script to .net server-side functionality.

please note that both approaches assume an IE client. Non IE clients do not
support behaviors and some require a plugin for the activeX control.

Alvin Bruney
message
Both types of applications can run in the same web but they
can not run in the same page nor can they share session state
without work-arounds such as a database that is used to
exchange data between the two types of applications.

Google: "asp"+"asp.net"+"session state"

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost"
Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development
NET (e-mail address removed)

I have a classic ASP application and don't plan on converting to .NET.
But, I would like to create a web service using the .NET Framework to
include in this application. Is this possible? If so, how do I go
about doing it?

Thanks!

clintonG

Dinner is served.
Would you like any salt or pepper with your crow? :)

--

Alvin Bruney said:
[...]

rub it in!

Alvin Bruney