Web Service calls seem too slow

  • Start date Start date

Steve Schaenzer

Hi,

I am concerned with the performance of my 3-tier architecture using a
WebService and a SQL Server. I have a windows client making calls to the
WebService running under IIS all written using C#. I did a simple time test
and discovered that it is taking 360 mili seconds (ms) of overhead for a
round trip to the WebService. This seems to be way out of line considering
everything is installed locally on my 3 GHz P4 box. My function call on the
WebService only takes 15 ms to execute. I am concerned because I was not
expecting to spend 375 ms to do 15ms worth of work.

I recognize that I need to make my app tolerate long response times to make
it work well across the internet. That 360ms across the internet isn't bad
but this is all local and I expected IIS to have better response times that
this.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Steve.

Hi Lewis,

Thank you for your reply.

Asynchronous calls are not going to be very useful for my application where
I am making database requests on demand to flip through user records and
need the data to be the latest fresh data available.

There must be some timing problems in the request and responce sequenence
for making the web service call. Remember that I am configured to have
everying locally on my box. I am not even going out to the network there
should not be any wait times involved. Also- my cpu is not loading up. It is
not waiting for the processor, something else is slowing it down.

I am wondering if there might be some configuration settings I need to
change to get better responce times on the local machine?

Thanks.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

You can monitor the performance of the web service to find where is the
bottleneck and tune it. Please look this article:

Monitor Web Service Performance
<http://www.fawcette.com/xmlmag/2002_10/online/webservices_rjennings_10_30_0
2/>

Here is another article. I think it should be helpful:
Performance Comparison: .NET Remoting vs. ASP.NET Web Services
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/
bdadotnetarch14.asp

Best regards,
Lewis

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/ht
| > ml/cpconinvokingwebservicesasynchronously.asp>
| >
| > Does this answer your question? Please let me know if you need more
| > information. Thanks.
| >
| > Best Regards,
| > Lewis

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Steve Schaenzer" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Web Service calls seem too slow
| > | Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:39:35 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I am concerned with the performance of my 3-tier architecture using a
| > | WebService and a SQL Server. I have a windows client making calls to
| the
| > | WebService running under IIS all written using C#. I did a simple time
| > test
| > | and discovered that it is taking 360 mili seconds (ms) of overhead
for a
| > | round trip to the WebService. This seems to be way out of line
| considering
| > | everything is installed locally on my 3 GHz P4 box. My function call
on
| > the
| > | WebService only takes 15 ms to execute. I am concerned because I was
not
| > | expecting to spend 375 ms to do 15ms worth of work.
| > |
| > | I recognize that I need to make my app tolerate long response times to
| > make
| > | it work well across the internet. That 360ms across the internet isn't
| bad
| > | but this is all local and I expected IIS to have better response times
| > that
| > | this.
| > |
| > | Any ideas?
| > |
| > | Thanks.
| > |
| > | Steve.
| > |
| > |
| > |

Hi Lewis,

Thanks for the links.

That timer is nice, now I have more accurate #'s to use.

I discovered today that if I turn on anonymous access I save 375ms on my
calling time!!!! This is the giant overhead culprit I have been looking for!

Using Integrated Windows authentication appears to be the bottle neck.
I can't believe that it takes so long for doing Integrated Windows
authentication but it does. At least on my network it does.

Now I need to find out if there is any way I can speed this up by adjusting
network settings or if it is possible to use both Integrated Windows
authentication and also Anonymous access with the same Web Service, or
publish two web services from the same Solution... One with integrated
windows authentication for doing a logon and one with anonymous access for
performance.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Steve.