Web browser being hi-jacked ????

  • Start date Start date

Andy100

You may have read my previous post about not being able to get a web page up
after my PC had been on a long time, well i thought i had fixed it, but
apparently not.

The problem is this :
When i boot up my PC i go on the net, everything is fine, pages load up ok.
If i disconnect (or if i am disconnected, which does sometimes happen), i
reconnect and find that at the bottom left hand of the opening page it says
'connecting to 66.102.11.99' (not 'connecting to google' as it usually
says). I can get into e-mails and other 'non-IE6' reliant programs OK. So
the connection is still pulling things through, just not web pages.

I tried 'spybot' and 'ad-aware' and they seemed to clean things and
everything was ok for a day or 2. But now the same thing is happening and i
am NOT going into any 'dodgy' web pages. Why is this happening and how can i
sort it once and for all without having to re-boot every time ?

Please help !!!!!!!!

Cheers
Andy

I had something similar happen to me last week. I went to
an old bookmark, but the page was no longer there, and now
I was looking at some domain registry type page. When I
left this page, I was prompted if I wanted to make this my
home page. I clicked on "no," and from then on, everytime
I opened IE it logged onto that site. I went into
Internet Tools, and saw that "about: blank" was now my
homepage. No matter what I did, I could not get it
changed. I ran Ad-Aware and it got rid of 9 new files,
many of which were listed as possible hijack of browser.
Well, each time I opened IE and it went back to this page,
I would run Ad-Aware again and it would get rid of the
same 9 files. Finally, I went into the registry, and saw
that "about: blank" was listed in the registry as my
start page. I tried changing that to my regular start
page, but there was still another file in the registry
that was overriding this. Finally, I just did a system
restore to the day before, and this completely took care
of my problem.

Perhaps my ramblings can help??? Good luck!

Keven said:
[...]

If you get about.blank infection again look here

http://www.akadia.com/services/about_blank_virus.html

Just noticed something though... When i did a virus check, i got the
message 'info6_s.cab this archive contains 1 or more infected files.
Infected files in archives will not be deleted or repaired'. I looked for
this file and found it to be in C:/. I deleted it and everything seems to
be OK (fingers crossed !!!!)

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

I'd like to confirm if the original issue has been resolved after deleting
the infected file. If not, try the following steps to see if they help:

Clear Internet Explorer Cache
======================

a. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

b. Double-click Internet Options.

c. On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings
button. Click the View Files button. Press CTRL+A to select all files.
Press DEL or click the Delete option at the top of the window. Click the
Yes button on the dialog box that appears. After all the files are gone,
close the window.

d. Click View Objects. Delete all the objects listed in the right pane.
Return to Internet Options.

e. Return to the General tab, click Clear History.

f. Empty the temp folder which is usually C:\Windows\Temp for Windows 98
and C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp for Windows
XP/2000.

Clear the registry
==============

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall Windows operation system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor
can be solved.

Backup and then delete the following registry keys:

[KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins\Extension]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Brows
er Helper Objects]

Remove the Plug-Ins for Internet Explorer
==============

a. Close all the Internet Explorer window.

b. Open a Windows Explorer window by right Click My Computer and choose
Explore.

c. Locate the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS folder.

d. Remove all the files in this folder.

Disable third-party browser extensions:
==============

a. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

b. Double-click Internet Options.

c. Click the Advanced tab.

d. Under Browsing, click to clear the "Enable third-party browser
extensions (requires restart)" check box.

If anything is unclear, feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

William Wang
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

from your issue.