Virus checkers and non-virus VBS scripts?

TC

Hi folks

I need to add a VBS script to my commercially-distributed win32
application.

The script would be copied to the user's hard disk by the application
install program. The application would be started (manually) by the
user clicking a shortcut. The shortcut runs the VBS script. The VBS
script does a few things, then runs the main program. I have my
reasons for needing to do it this way. The intervening scipt is
required. The shortcut can not run the main program directly.

Question. I know that modern virus checkers will check for (& perhaps
prevent) the downloading &/or running of hazardous files including VBS
scripts. But, will they prevent the "manual" running of scripts that
are already on the user's hard disk? IOW, is it possible/likely that a
virus checker could prevent my application's shortcut from running the
VBS script described above?

TIA,
TC

Shane

TC said:
[...]

It's certainly possible. It's also possible - likely even, depending on your
customer type - that they'll have Edit set as default action for .vbs or WSH
disabled/removed. But there are still plenty of machines on which a *.vbs
will run without complaint.

Shane

Miles Fromier

TC said:
[...]

It is possible, but it is also possible it could do the same to the executable itself. It should only interfere with the
script if it "thinks" the script is malicious - and the same goes for the executable itself. Aside from that the user
may have, for security reasons, disabled scripting or made the file association for script files an editor instead of
the normal scripting host (interpretation engine).

TC

(e-mail address removed) (TC) wrote in message
(snip)

Thanks folks. I may need to rethink my plan.

TC