  • Start date Start date

I've tried all the other suggestions and found finally after months of it not
working found this MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;904678

Really nice of it to be disabled with no work arounds listed for those of us
that really need this functionality. Up to now I've had to download the page
I'm looking at and then I could view source. That is a real pain in the
butt.

Does anyone have any idea of how to enable this function again or work
around this besides downloading webpages?

Hi,
In what way is View Source not working for you? View Source should work in
IE6 SP2.

Have you tried all of these possible solutions?
First, clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

If you have a shortcut to Notepad.exe on the desktop, rename it.

It's been reported that Quick View Plus can cause this. The fix for that is
at http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/774/

If the problem is with secure (https) pages, check this setting:
Internet Options> Advanced> Security (uncheck) Do not save encrypted pages
to disk.

Additional information at
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/20.html
and
http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/iescrcod.htm

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"OurClemonsFamily" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

I've tried all those possible fixes without any luck. I just downloaded the
microsoft powertoys for xp and changed the program to use for viewing source.
No change from before.

I should also state, viewing source on my local machine works. It will not
open to view any source on a posted page unless I download that page and then
do it, which defeats the prior ease of use to viewing source.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Sorry, lost track of this thread. When you view a webpage you have
downloaded the HTM file to Temporary Internet Files. Do you mean that you
have to *save* the webpage in order to view the source?

Is there an error message? Is View Source available on the IE toolbar?

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Sorry, lost track of this thread. When you view a webpage you have
downloaded the HTM file to Temporary Internet Files. Do you mean that you
have to *save* the webpage in order to view the source?

Yep, have to save it on my local machine. Then I can View>Source from the
menu bar. On the live pages, I click it and nothing happens. When I save
it, can access it fine. I know that to be a work around, but it's just a
pain in the butt to have to save a page to view the code.
Is there an error message? Is View Source available on the IE toolbar?

No error messages. No option for View Source on the toolbar or in toolbar
options.
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"OurClemonsFamily" wrote in message
I've tried all those possible fixes without any luck. I just downloaded the
microsoft powertoys for xp and changed the program to use for viewing source.
No change from before.

I should also state, viewing source on my local machine works. It will not
open to view any source on a posted page unless I download that page and then
do it, which defeats the prior ease of use to viewing source.

Hi,
The DWORD "NoViewSource" doesn't turn up in a search of the registry?
See: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/20.html

Longshot... Try deleting the cache. Login as another user with administrator
privileges, or from the machine's default administrator account (Safe Mode)
and delete the affected TIF folder from Windows Explorer.

You would not be able to delete this folder when logged in as yourself- it's
"In use." You should be able to delete it from the Administrator account.
It's often recommended that the TIF folder size be set to 50-60 MB.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"OurClemonsFamily" <OurClemonsFamily[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

I tried that several times without luck before.

I just tried this as the default administrator with no internet support to
be different from prior attempts. Deleted all the TIF folders and now it
magically started working.

Thanks Don for all the help.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Back