Video CD's

  • Start date Start date

Sam

Hi, Can anyone enlighten me as to what VCD's are? Can I use a normal CD-R
disks to make them or do I need a DVD writer?

Thanks

Sam

You can use normal CD-R disks to make VCDs and you make them with a CD-Writer disk drive. There
are also SVCDs (Super VCDs) which display much higher quality pictures on your TV but are less
compatible with older DVD players than VCDs. Not all DVD players will play VCDs either. I made
an SVCD which plays in my DVD but not in either of my two daughters DVDs. Then I made a VCD
which one daughter could play, but the other couldn't. So don't expect that every DVD player
will play the VCD format. When it works, though, it is quite nice. You can add sound and title
slides, a menu to display on the screen as the opening screen..

http://vcdhelp.com has lots of info about VCDs (and DVDs).

Most "recent" DVD players will playback VCDs (I've started to see the
"Compact Disc Video" logo on some of them), far fewer support SVCD (and even
fewer support mini-DVD, a DVD image burned on a CD). Some of the VCD
playback problems may be caused by the quality of the media (try different
brand names) and using CD-R/W instead of CD-R.

Note that the CDs created by Windows Media Player are none of the above
(they are HighMAT) and there are (currently) no stand-alone DVD players that
will playback these CDs. See http://papajohn.org for details.

Dan

Mr Smith,

Your message is off-topic, please refrain from posting off-topic messages
in this newsgroup.

--
Best Wishes.........John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org

From: "J. Daniel Smith" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: VCD Menu Effects
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:14:14 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker

This newsgroup is for Windows MovieMaker, which doesn't create VCDs (or DVDs
for that matter).

Dan

Back
Top