Validation is not working when form tag is declared dynamically

• Thread starter sj via .NET 247
  • Start date
S

sj via .NET 247

I have a web form

<%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="test.aspx.vb" Inherits="test"%>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
&nbsp;
<body>
<form runat=server id =form1 >
<asp:Button id="btnSave" runat="server" CausesValidation= true Text="save"></asp:Button>
<asp:textbox id="txtAccountNumber" runat="server" Width="136px"></asp:textbox>
<asp:RequiredFieldValidator id="RequiredFieldValidator1" runat="server" ErrorMessage="RequiredFieldValidator"
ControlToValidate="txtAccountNumber">Enter Account Number</asp:RequiredFieldValidator>
</form>
</body>
</HTML>

When i click the btnSave button , if i dont have any value in txtAccountNumber ...it says 'Enter Account Number'

But IF I remove the <form runat=server> tag from html view and add the form tag dynamically in page load event... Validation doesn't work..

Sub Page_Load(ByVal Sender As Object, ByVal E As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Dim baseForm As HtmlForm
baseForm = New HtmlForm
baseForm.ID = "baseForm"

Me.Controls.Add(baseForm)

baseForm.Controls.Add(Me.btnSave)
baseForm.Controls.Add(Me.txtAccountNumber)
baseForm.Controls.Add(Me.RequiredFieldValidator1)

End Sub

When i view the source ...the btnSave doen't have the attribute the following attribute
onclick="if (typeof(Page_ClientValidate) == 'function') Page_ClientValidate(); "

Can you please tell me what causes the problem when the form is added dynamically and controls are moved to the form in form load event

( you may wonder..why i add the form tag dynamically...bcoz it is declared in my basepage...so the inheriting page's controls are moved the basepages form tag and my inheriting page should not have form tag)

Ask a Question