Updating XP offline

  • Start date Start date

sleeplessinnewjersey

I support several PC's that run XP but don't have Internet access. I have
the XP SP2 update CD and can update these PC's to SP2. I learned of a
service provided by Heise Security called "Offline Update." The heart of
this service consists of automated scripts that download Microsoft's updates
for the Windows version that I select, XP in this case. The result is a 700+
MB ISO file, which I take to be executable, that can be burned to a CD or DVD
that will autorun. The file also can be copied to a USB flash drive. I used
this method.

I downloaded the ISO file on my home PC over its cable connection. I ended
up with an ISO file that Windows Explorer showed with the ISO icon. I
transfered this file to one of the target PC's. Windows Explorer showed the
file but with a generic icon. When I tried to execute the file, a window
popped up stating that Windows didn't know what program had originated it and
gave me the usual list of applications, none of which seemed to be suitable
to open an executable file.

This has me stumped. Since this PC doesn't connect to the Internet, I
cannot select the option to look online.

Of course, I could wait for MS to release SP3, but who knows when that will
occur.

Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Do you have the proper software to burn a cd from cd image (ISO)?

:
:

Back
Top