Diagnostics | Process Explorer 10.0
Author: Sysinternals
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
[with screenshots]
Date: 2006-02-08
Size: 627 Kb
License: Freeware
Requires: Win XP/2K/2003
Downloaded: 14347 Times

snip>
The Process Explorer display consists of two sub-windows. The top
window always shows a list of the currently active processes,
including the names of their owning accounts, whereas the information
displayed in the bottom window depends on the mode that Process
Explorer is in: if it is in handle mode you’ll see the handles that
the process selected in the top window has opened; if Process Explorer
is in DLL mode you’ll see the DLLs and memory-mapped files that the
process has loaded. Process Explorer also has a powerful search
capability that will quickly show you which processes have particular
handles opened or DLLs loaded.

The unique capabilities of Process Explorer make it useful for
tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks, and provide
insight into the way Windows and applications work.

Process Explorer works on Windows 9x/Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000,
Windows XP, Server 2003, and 64-bit versions of Windows for x64
processors, and Windows Vista."

snip>
What's new in Version 10.0:

*The process column is locked on the left side so that it doesn't
scroll horizontally out of view
*You can configure custom column selections and save them as
easy-to-access column sets
*Image verification option now verifies images in the background
*More refresh intervals
*Runas menu entry in the File menu
*Run as Limited User menu entry in the File menu to run a process
without administrative privileges and group membership
*Process menu includes Restart item to kill and then restart a
selected process
*Can suspend individual threads on Threads page of Process Properties
dialog
*The Find Window target moves Process Explorer's main window to the
back to get it out of the way
*Close Window command uses same End Task functionality as Task Manager
*Show New Processes option scrolls display to make new processes
visible
*Heuristics to detect more image packers
*User name of account in which Process Explorer is running is shown in
the title bar
*Services can be stopped, resumed, and paused from the Services tab of
the Process Properties dialog
*The DLLs that host SvcHost processes are listed in the Services tab
of the Process Properties dialog
*Services running within a process display on the process' tooltip
*As a parallel to the CPU Usage History column there's now a Private
Bytes Usage History column
*The Process view includes columns that show the working set breakdown
of the process in shared, shareable and private pages
*New delta private-bytes column to show changes in private virtual
memory usage
*Can copy lines from the Process, DLL and Handle views to the
clipboard
*Option to show pagefile-backed (unnamed) sections in DLL view
*DLL and handle searching consolidated
*The DLL view includes columns that show the working set contributions
in shared, shareable, and private pages
*The DLL a Rundll32 process hosts is shown in its process tooltip
*Packed DLL highlighting in DLL view
*Image signing verification available for DLLs
*Better DLL properties dialog
*Object address shown in Object Properties dialog
*File object share flags column for Handle view "

schrodinger's cat

ncSkeet

schrodinger's cat said:
Captain Video said:
[majorgeeks w/download]
snip>
Diagnostics | Process Explorer 10.0
Author: Sysinternals
Date: 2006-02-08
Size: 627 Kb
License: Freeware
Requires: Win XP/2K/2003
Downloaded: 14347 Times

snip>
Actually, v10.02 is out now.

Actually, (as of Feb 7th), 10.03

10.04 today (9th).

jvin007

ncSkeet said:
10.04 today (9th).

What's with all the rapid updates? I have been using this for
years and I have never seen it updated that many times in so
short a time period.

BoB

What's with all the rapid updates? I have been using this for
years and I have never seen it updated that many times in so
short a time period.

Since you are a long time user, did you noticed which version
stopped supporting Win98? My v8.10 works in Win98.

TIA,

BoB

Captain Video

What's with all the rapid updates? I have been using this for
years and I have never seen it updated that many times in so
short a time period.

'Process Explorer Forum' may give some clues in the subject lines as
to why that is, eg;
FORUM:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=2

Samples:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4096&PN=1
snip>
Process Explorer
Sysinternals Forums : Process Explorer
Topic: Major memory leak in Process Explorer 10

http://www.sysinternals.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4116&PN=2
Snip>
Process Explorer
Sysinternals Forums : Process Explorer
Topic: PE10 doesn’t run on NT4 :(

http://www.sysinternals.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4117&PN=2
snip>
Process Explorer
Sysinternals Forums : Process Explorer
Topic: PE10 Bug: "Always On Top" (not always)

http://www.sysinternals.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4100&PN=2
snip>
Process Explorer
Sysinternals Forums : Process Explorer
Topic: Minor bug in 10.0 - Opacity

http://www.sysinternals.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4122&PN=2
snip>
Process Explorer
Sysinternals Forums : Process Explorer
Topic: 10.01 process list bugs

http://www.sysinternals.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4142&PN=2
snip>
Process Explorer
Sysinternals Forums : Process Explorer
Topic: PE10.02 display problems"

etc....

CV

me

Since you are a long time user, did you noticed which
version stopped supporting Win98? My v8.10 works in Win98.

TIA,

BoB

v10.03 works on W95 (some .DLLs "ported" from W98). So, it
should work on W98 as well.

John Corliss

v10.03 works on W95 (some .DLLs "ported" from W98). So, it
should work on W98 as well.

Not only that, but at the bottom of this page:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

it says:

"Download Process Explorer (x86 - 640 KB) - you plan on using Process
Explorer on Win9x/Me"

Assuming that the download from that link is version 10, then I doubt
they'd say that if it didn't work with W9X.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No

me

Not only that, but at the bottom of this page:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

it says:

"Download Process Explorer (x86 - 640 KB) - you plan on
using Process Explorer on Win9x/Me"

Assuming that the download from that link is version 10,
then I doubt they'd say that if it didn't work with W9X.
If one were to read that page carefuly, one would find:
[ quot ]
In order to help us track its use, please download through the
link that represents the operating system on which you will use
or mostly use Process Explorer.

Note that the zip files are identical, and Process Explorer runs
on all Windows platforms.

Download Process Explorer (x86 - 640 KB) - you plan on using
Process Explorer on Win9x/Me
[ /quot ]

jvin007

BoB said:
Since you are a long time user, did you noticed which version
stopped supporting Win98? My v8.10 works in Win98.

I never had Win98 and went from Win95 to ME to XP Pro. As
far as I know it still works on Win98, as they have a version for
Win9x/ME on their website. I cannot remember when I started
using it and I did not start keeping older versions until two years
ago, so the oldest version I have is 8.32. Prior to that I deleted
older ones when I got a newer one.

John Corliss

Not only that, but at the bottom of this page:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

it says:

"Download Process Explorer (x86 - 640 KB) - you plan on
using Process Explorer on Win9x/Me"

Assuming that the download from that link is version 10,
then I doubt they'd say that if it didn't work with W9X.
If one were to read that page carefuly, one would find:
[ quot ]
In order to help us track its use, please download through the
link that represents the operating system on which you will use
or mostly use Process Explorer.

Note that the zip files are identical, and Process Explorer runs
on all Windows platforms.

Download Process Explorer (x86 - 640 KB) - you plan on using
Process Explorer on Win9x/Me
[ /quot ]

Thanks, but I'm aware of that part also. Note that it also doesn't mean
that ver. 10 won't work with W9X.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No
adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware,
PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware,
viruses or warez for me, please.

BoB

Not only that, but at the bottom of this page:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

it says:

"Download Process Explorer (x86 - 640 KB) - you plan on using Process
Explorer on Win9x/Me"

Assuming that the download from that link is version 10, then I doubt
they'd say that if it didn't work with W9X.

Thanks John,

I no longer have the OP msg but thought somewhere between here and
there, someone stated v10 only works with Win XP/2K/2003.

BoB

David

Thanks John,

I no longer have the OP msg but thought somewhere between here and
there, someone stated v10 only works with Win XP/2K/2003.

BoB

V10.4 is working on my W98SE machine. Just use the correct link to
download it. (At the bottom of the page)

ms

Not only that, but at the bottom of this page:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

it says:

"Download Process Explorer (x86 - 640 KB) - you plan on
using Process Explorer on Win9x/Me"

Assuming that the download from that link is version 10,
then I doubt they'd say that if it didn't work with W9X.

If one were to read that page carefuly, one would find:
[ quot ]
In order to help us track its use, please download through the
link that represents the operating system on which you will use
or mostly use Process Explorer.

Note that the zip files are identical, and Process Explorer runs
on all Windows platforms.

Download Process Explorer (x86 - 640 KB) - you plan on using
Process Explorer on Win9x/Me
[ /quot ]

I downloaded the right one for W98 like I've been doing for years.

Ver. 10.xxx does not work in W98SE for me, it may for others. It causes a screen
freeze on exit, contacted the author, he dosen't see it.

Anyway, ver. 9XXX still works, I'll wait for ver. 11. It's the only one of any of
his programs to ever cause trouble for me.

Mike Sa

David

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

BoB wrote:

jvin007 wrote:

ncSkeet wrote:

[...]

I'm using V10.04 with no problems on Win98SE.

Peter Seiler

David - 07.03.2006 22:51 :
I'm using V10.04 with no problems on Win98SE.

David, please think about if it's really necessary always fullquoting
again. THX.