Unable to key in full URL

  • Start date Start date

Craig

When I try keying in a URL, after a few characters, the
address line is cleared resuting in me keying in a
partial URL. How do I stop the address line from being
cleared out or have I got a virus or some rogue
softwarerunning in the background?

Hi,
I haven't heard of this (exact) behavior, but it's probably being caused by
a third-party program (adware, spyware, parasite)

Work through the solutions (CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot) at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on that
page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

Hope this helps,
Don

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
I haven't heard of this (exact) behavior, but it's probably being caused by
a third-party program (adware, spyware, parasite)

Definitely. It could be a (deficient) keystroke logger in another task
which isn't returning control to the IE task properly. E.g. you can simulate
the effect by doing some typing, pressing Alt-Tab (to switch away from
the IE task), pressing Alt-Tab again (to switch back), and then "not notice"
that the contents of the Address bar are now selected so that the next
keystroke will wipe out all the accumulated typing. You would have to be
repeatedly pressing End before typing a character to avoid this effect.

---

Robert Aldwinckle said:
"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Hi,
I haven't heard of this (exact) behavior, but it's probably being caused by
a third-party program (adware, spyware, parasite)

Definitely. It could be a (deficient) keystroke logger in another task
which isn't returning control to the IE task properly. E.g. you can simulate
the effect by doing some typing, pressing Alt-Tab (to switch away from
the IE task), pressing Alt-Tab again (to switch back), and then "not notice"
that the contents of the Address bar are now selected so that the next
keystroke will wipe out all the accumulated typing. You would have to be
repeatedly pressing End before typing a character to avoid this effect.

Makes sense. Thanks for verifying.

Don

Back
Top