Unable to get the project file from the web server

  • Start date Start date

David N

I got a solution that contains about 30 projects, three of which cannot be
open. When I open the project, I always receive the error message "Unable
to get the project file from the Web Server"

My machine is running Windows 2003. My colleagues are using the same
hardware and software as I do, but I am the only one running into this
problem.

I searched the Internet and see that quite a lot of people having the same
problem in the past, but I cannot find any thread that provides me a
solution for the problem.

I sync. (from the source control) the project to another machine which runs
Windows 2000 and I can open the project fine. This drives me nut! What is
in my Windows 2003 machine that prevent me from opening the project. Why do
I got that "stupid" error? Can Microsoft be a little more detail when
display an error? What project file that it cannot open? Should Bill Gate
send his software developers to a basic training school where they can learn
how to communicate with end users when they program to display an error
message :-)?

Can someone shed a light?

Thanks in advance.

Hi David,

Thanks for posting in this group.
There are some people that have met this problem, The cause of the problem
might be that the cached state of the Web application does not contain the
project file.
To work around the problem, delete the Web cache for the project on
Computer2, and then reopen the project. For example, if the problem occurs
when you try to open http://<myserver>/<myproject>, clear the D:\Documents
and Settings\User\VsWebCache\<MyServer>\<MyProject> folder.

If this workaround does not work for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: " David N" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Unable to get the project file from the web server
| Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:14:56 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
|
| I got a solution that contains about 30 projects, three of which cannot be
| open. When I open the project, I always receive the error message "Unable
| to get the project file from the Web Server"
|
| My machine is running Windows 2003. My colleagues are using the same
| hardware and software as I do, but I am the only one running into this
| problem.
|
| I searched the Internet and see that quite a lot of people having the same
| problem in the past, but I cannot find any thread that provides me a
| solution for the problem.
|
| I sync. (from the source control) the project to another machine which
runs
| Windows 2000 and I can open the project fine. This drives me nut! What
is
| in my Windows 2003 machine that prevent me from opening the project. Why
do
| I got that "stupid" error? Can Microsoft be a little more detail when
| display an error? What project file that it cannot open? Should Bill
Gate
| send his software developers to a basic training school where they can
learn
| how to communicate with end users when they program to display an error
| message :-)?
|
| Can someone shed a light?
|
| Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. Indeed it works after I deleted every under the
"documents and settings\VSWebCache\User" folder.

I did read the solution from the Internet, and thought that if I reboot my
server, the cache should be gone also. Never thought that cache is
something stays in files and reboot the server wouldn't fix it.

Thanks for your help...

"Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]" said:
Hi David,

Thanks for posting in this group.
There are some people that have met this problem, The cause of the problem
might be that the cached state of the Web application does not contain the
project file.
To work around the problem, delete the Web cache for the project on
Computer2, and then reopen the project. For example, if the problem occurs
when you try to open http://<myserver>/<myproject>, clear the D:\Documents
and Settings\User\VsWebCache\<MyServer>\<MyProject> folder.

If this workaround does not work for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: " David N" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Unable to get the project file from the web server
| Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:14:56 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
|
| I got a solution that contains about 30 projects, three of which cannot be
| open. When I open the project, I always receive the error message "Unable
| to get the project file from the Web Server"
|
| My machine is running Windows 2003. My colleagues are using the same
| hardware and software as I do, but I am the only one running into this
| problem.
|
| I searched the Internet and see that quite a lot of people having the same
| problem in the past, but I cannot find any thread that provides me a
| solution for the problem.
|
| I sync. (from the source control) the project to another machine which
runs
| Windows 2000 and I can open the project fine. This drives me nut! What
is
| in my Windows 2003 machine that prevent me from opening the project. Why
do
| I got that "stupid" error? Can Microsoft be a little more detail when
| display an error? What project file that it cannot open? Should Bill
Gate
| send his software developers to a basic training school where they can
learn
| how to communicate with end users when they program to display an error
| message :-)?
|
| Can someone shed a light?
|
| Thanks in advance.

Hi David,

I am glad your problem finally resolved.
If you still have any questions, please feel free to tell me.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: " David N" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Unable to get the project file from the web server
| Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:12:56 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
|

| Thanks for the reply. Indeed it works after I deleted every under the
| "documents and settings\VSWebCache\User" folder.
|
| I did read the solution from the Internet, and thought that if I reboot my
| server, the cache should be gone also. Never thought that cache is
| something stays in files and reboot the server wouldn't fix it.
|
| Thanks for your help...
|

| > Hi David,
| >
| > Thanks for posting in this group.
| > There are some people that have met this problem, The cause of the
problem
| > might be that the cached state of the Web application does not contain
the
| > project file.
| > To work around the problem, delete the Web cache for the project on
| > Computer2, and then reopen the project. For example, if the problem
occurs
| > when you try to open http://<myserver>/<myproject>, clear the
D:\Documents
| > and Settings\User\VsWebCache\<MyServer>\<MyProject> folder.
| >
| > If this workaround does not work for you, please feel free to let me
know.

| > Best regards,
| > Jeffrey Tan
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| > This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: " David N" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Unable to get the project file from the web server
| > | Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:14:56 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
| > |
| > | I got a solution that contains about 30 projects, three of which
cannot
| be
| > | open. When I open the project, I always receive the error message
| "Unable
| > | to get the project file from the Web Server"
| > |
| > | My machine is running Windows 2003. My colleagues are using the same
| > | hardware and software as I do, but I am the only one running into this
| > | problem.
| > |
| > | I searched the Internet and see that quite a lot of people having the
| same
| > | problem in the past, but I cannot find any thread that provides me a
| > | solution for the problem.
| > |
| > | I sync. (from the source control) the project to another machine which
| > runs
| > | Windows 2000 and I can open the project fine. This drives me nut!
| What
| > is
| > | in my Windows 2003 machine that prevent me from opening the project.
| Why
| > do
| > | I got that "stupid" error? Can Microsoft be a little more detail when
| > | display an error? What project file that it cannot open? Should Bill
| > Gate
| > | send his software developers to a basic training school where they can
| > learn
| > | how to communicate with end users when they program to display an
error
| > | message :-)?
| > |
| > | Can someone shed a light?