Unable to connect to web pages

  • Start date Start date

I am experience a problem connecting to web pages in IE 6 on XP Pro SP2. All
updates are current. The problem only exists for one of the users on the
local machine. In researching I came across the issue with a corrupted
index.dat file in a KB article but that did not solve the problem.

Symptom seems to be that IE is NOT really passing any requests beyond it's
interface. I can open local html docs but even when I go to browse the
internet, IE name requests are not even modifying the DNS Name Cache. All
other TCP/IP related functions seem to work. Email access, MSN Messenger,
ping, etc all work. IE shows status "Web site found. Waiting for
response..." and eventually times out and gives the error "page not found."

I am stumped and the KB doesn't seem to be able to help. This problem only
affects a single user on the local machine. Other local users and newly
created users do not have a problem.

TIA for your help.

I should also comment that all spyware, adwares and virus' seem to be a
non-issue. Have used several tools to check for these issues but all come up
clean.

Hi,
From that account, disable add-ons from IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Any
change?

Or, this sounds like a malware problem. Even a combination of Ad-aware,
Spybot and MS Windows Anti-Spyware won't catch everything.

Start at http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum.

HijackThis logs are also analyzed at these (and other) forums. Look for the
proper forum and an "Important- Read This First" message so that you follow
proper procedure.
http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/