Truncated Navigation Bar

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

I have an apparently machine/operating system-dependent problem. The navigation bar on the bottom of all the forms I have created on my development computer display perfectly. However, when the resulting database is run on my colleague's computers, some navigation bars are truncated, displaying 'Record 3 of' instead of 'Record 3 of 256', for example. I do not understand the reason for this nor can I find a way of resolving the problem. There appears to be no obviously adjustable setting in form properties, for example.
All the machines are using Access 2002. The only obvious difference is that the development computer runs under Windows 2000 whilst the machines displaying the problem run under Windows XP - but I can't imagine that that could be causing the difficulty.

Check that all machines have Service Pack 2 for Office XP.
Downloadable from support.microsoft.com

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.

Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

Peter Hallett said:
I have an apparently machine/operating system-dependent problem. The
navigation bar on the bottom of all the forms I have created on my
development computer display perfectly. However, when the resulting
database is run on my colleague's computers, some navigation bars are
truncated, displaying 'Record 3 of' instead of 'Record 3 of 256', for
example. I do not understand the reason for this nor can I find a way of
resolving the problem. There appears to be no obviously adjustable setting
in form properties, for example.
All the machines are using Access 2002. The only obvious difference is
that the development computer runs under Windows 2000 whilst the machines
displaying the problem run under Windows XP - but I can't imagine that that
could be causing the difficulty.

Allen

Further information has now come to light in respect of the truncation of navigation bars which throws doubt on the previous suggestion that failure to download the latest Office updates to the affected computers might be responsible

To recap, and expand, somewhat, the situation is as follows:
When displayed on the original development computer, running Access 2002 under Windows 2000, and now on an XP Home computer, running Access 2003 (it makes no difference), the navigation bars, associated with all the numerous forms, display correctly. However, on the first two remote target computers, running the .mdb files created on the development machines, a number of navigation bars are truncated. ‘Record…6…of 256’ becoming ‘Record…6…of 2’, or even ‘Record…6’, for example. In some cases even the rightmost navigation button, or buttons, are lost

The opportunity has recently arisen to run the database independently on a third, remotely located computer. This shows similar truncation problems

The difference between the target computers is that, whilst it is difficult to ascertain with certainty whether or not the original pair are fully updated, there is no doubt that the third has all the latest software updates installed, it being under the control of a much more experienced user. An interesting fact has, however, now emerged that may provide the key to this puzzle. All the computers suffering the truncation have 15†monitors. The development was carried out on a computer with a 17†monitor and has now shifted to a machine with an 18†screen

Experiments with the computers having 15†displays shows that the missing characters, and/or buttons, can be revealed by enlarging the affected forms, shifting their right hand margins to the right. This completely unbalances the form design, of course, but does allow the navigation bars to be viewed in full, leading to the seemingly absurd conclusion that, whilst the sizes of the labels and text boxes on the forms are automatically scaled to fit the size of the screen, as one would expect, that of the navigation bars remains absolute, the original design dimensions being retained from the 17†or 18†monitors and therefore being, in many cases, too large to fit the reduced field size available on the smaller screens

I find this difficult to accept. It is almost like maintaining that a 1024 x 768 image from an 18†monitor cannot be displayed in full on a 15†monitor because it will ‘fall off the edge’ of the smaller screen. (All the computers involved use 1024x768 resolution, incidentally.) Nevertheless, it is difficult to avoid this sort of explanation

Not only do navigation bars appear to fail to scale properly, however. It is also not apparent how they can be manually resized. In some cases, I would like to make them easier to see by using a larger font, for example, but cannot find a way of doing this or of resizing their display fields

Suggestions please

--------------------
| Thread-Topic: Truncated Navigation Bar
|
| I have an apparently machine/operating system-dependent problem. The
navigation bar on the bottom of
| all the forms I have created on my development computer display
perfectly. However, when the resulting
| database is run on my colleague's computers, some navigation bars are
truncated, displaying 'Record 3 of' instead of
| 'Record 3 of 256', for example. I do not understand the reason for this
nor can I find a way of resolving the
| problem. There appears to be no obviously adjustable setting in form
properties, for example.
| All the machines are using Access 2002. The only obvious difference is
that the development computer runs
| under Windows 2000 whilst the machines displaying the problem run under
Windows XP - but I can't imagine that
| that could be causing the difficulty.
---------------
Hi,

It is possible that the difference in appearance is due to the difference
in "Appearance settings" between Windows XP and Windows 2000. You can
change Windows XP to look more like the Windows 2000 interface by doing the
following:

1. Right-click your desktop. This will prompt you with the Display
properties of your computer.
2. Select the Appearance tab.
3. Choose Windows Classic style in the "Windows and buttons:" drop down
option. Choose Windows Standard in the "Color scheme:" Choose "Normal" in
the "Font size:" drop down option.
4. Click OK and Windows XP should look like the Windows 2000 interface. See
if this makes a difference in your navigation buttons in your Access forms.

Hope this helps,

Eric,

Thank you for the suggestion but I am afraid it does not provide an answer.

The original development machine used Access 2002 under Windows 2000. The second development machine runs Access 2003 under XP Home, Windows Classic display format being used on both. The project was transferred directly to the new development machine without incurring navigation bar truncation – indeed, no display disparities were observed. The 2002 .mdb files were then supplied to a user with two separate computers running XP Home with XP display format, providing a possible foundation for your suggestion. However, the third user computer runs under Windows 2000 with Windows Classic display format. This therefore leaves but one common factor between the machines exhibiting navigation bar truncation. Only those with 15†monitors are affected. This forces me back to the conclusion that the navigation bars have inherited their absolute dimensions from the 17†and 18†monitors on which they were first located on the development machines. Unlike label and text boxes, these latter dimensions appear not to be rescaled to fit the host monitor – as hard as that may be to accept.

Perhaps the second part of my question could yield an answer, namely, “How can navigation bars be resized by the database designer?†This would not provide an ideal solution but might enable the even less attractive alternative, of designing one’s own navigation bars, to be avoided. I have an application where this was done, in order to achieve larger, and therefore move visible, navigation controls. The designer of that system, it seems, was also unable to directly resize Microsoft’s standard navigation bar. Nevertheless, I will continue to regard this as a solution of last resort until other, simpler, options have been discarded.

Peter Hallett

Back