Trouble with index.dat

  • Start date Start date

CarlosAntenna

IE6 browser launches but hangs while loading the home page. Changed home
page -- same thing. Stopped the application from task manager and reported
the error. I was directed to KB article 884070. I did everything in that
article. The file that can't be read is index.dat. Since this is in a
"temporary internet files" folder, there is no backup to restore. How can
I fix this? (Running Windows XP Pro.)

--Carlos

Hi,
Strange that you would have been referred to
Storage medium errors cause an unexpected program crash in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=884070

First, clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

But... there's a good chance that malware is causing this problem.

You will want to run Ad-aware, Spybot and (if running WinXP) MS
Anti-Spyware (Beta.) Ad-aware and Spybot should be updated online before
they're run.
See these sites for help:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

You may have to post a HijackThis log to one of these forums for additional
help. Look for the proper forum and an "Important- Read This First" message
so that you follow proper procedure.
* HijackThis Quick Start http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/#Top

http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php

Other possibilities for "Iexplore.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
close"
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers_10.htm#close

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Thanks for your response Don.

I am unable to clear the cache as you described. When it hangs, the only
thing I can do is close it.

Following the steps outlined in KB884070 leads me to look at the event log
and see that the reason it gives a "medium error" response is because it
cannot read index.dat.

I tried something on another PC and think it may work. Since this user is
mobile I will have to wait until the next time he is in the office to try
it. Here is what i did:

Logged in as another user (admin) and renamed the index.dat file.
Logged back in as the original user and started IE.
The index.dat file was recreated at startup.

Does this sound like a reasonable course of action?

--Carlos

CarlosAntenna said:
IE6 browser launches but hangs while loading the home page. Changed home
page -- same thing. Stopped the application from task manager and reported
the error. I was directed to KB article 884070. I did everything in that
article. The file that can't be read is index.dat. Since this is in a
"temporary internet files" folder, there is no backup to restore. How can
I fix this? (Running Windows XP Pro.)

Carlos

Hi,
Renaming or deleting the index.dat file sounds like a good step. You could
also delete the Temporary Internet Files folder for that user account- also
from another user login with admin privileges. This would also, of course,
delete the index.dat file in the TIF folder.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Just to close the loop and for the benefit of anyone who may be following
this thread:

I deleted the index.dat file as previously described.
Then I restarted IE and the index was recreated.
Everything works as it should once again.

Just one caveat. If you do this, be patient. Rebuilding the index takes
several minutes. Just sit there and watch the hard drive activity light
flicker.

After I got IE working again, I cleared the cache and lowered the limits for
size and number of days.

Thanks again Don for your help.

--Carlos

"CarlosAntenna" <nunayo[at]binnez.com> wrote in message
IE6 browser launches but hangs while loading the home page. Changed home
page -- same thing. Stopped the application from task manager and
reported
the error. I was directed to KB article 884070. I did everything in that
article. The file that can't be read is index.dat. Since this is in a
"temporary internet files" folder, there is no backup to restore. How
can
I fix this? (Running Windows XP Pro.)

Carlos

Back