Trouble accessing these newsgroups

  • Start date Start date

As of yesterday I was having trouble accessing these newsgroups from my
computer. It would let me go to the newgroups home page, then english, and
then choose a topic, but when I tried to enter the actual newsgroup it would
say page could not be displayed. Eventually I figured out that if I deleted
all my cookies that it would work. I came in this morning and I had to
delete my cookies again. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Thanks.

I'm having a great deal of trouble posting a new message. How does one do
this? I click on the "new" button and nothing happens. So, I tried the
"reply" and here I am. I would like to know how to remove IE from my
computer. By the way, just getting the support is way too time consuming. I
am very surprised that Microsoft has made it so complicated.

Newsgroups were intended to be viewed with a newsreader, not on the web.
Outlook Express has a built-in newsreader which is easy to use. Use OE to
read newsgroups and you won't have the problems you are currently
experiencing.

Modem Ani

Can you give some detail on how to setup the newgroup in OE? I clicked the
setup newsgroups in OE, but it is asking me for a NNTP server. Thanks in
advance for your help.

If your ISP offers newsgroup service, your ISP can provide you with complete
instructions, including the name of their NNTP server. Otherwise, there are
outside organizations that offer newsgroup service for a small fee, and they
can also give you complete instructions. There are also free newsgroup
services, but their performance is spotty and don't expect much in the way
of help.

You can subscribe to the Microsoft public newsgroups (like this one) for
free. The name of the NNTP server is: msnews.microsoft.com

My pleasure.

Modem Ani

actually, I'm subscribed to a very good free news server, was going to
respond earlier to this post, but can't find English version of their
site right now, is a news server @ Univ. of Berlin..
http://news.cis.dfn.de/

it's a good service, once you post your post shows up IMMEDIATELY
(unlike Google, for example, where you have to wait about 6 hours to see
yr post..) all you have to do is send them an e-mail telling them you
want to subscribe and they send you back a username, password, and name
of server for you to configure your news client.. (only thing is they
don't carry binary groups and you have to post plain-text and you have
to put a real e-mail address (one that doesn't bounce, if you don't want
to use your e-mail add you use every day can open a new acct w/yahoo or
something to use for this service..) and they do respond if you write
to them when you need help..

you can try writing them in English at (e-mail address removed), just tell
them you want to subscribe, to pls write back in English (it's not an
autom. service, they read all e-mails they get..)

HTH.. Frances

Back
Top