Tray clock updates time but changes April 1 to January 4

G

I have a Windows XP, Turkish version. And i experienced one weirdest error anyone could think of. It's about the internet clock synchronization. It took me days to figure out what could be the pattern of this mysterious change in my computer's perception of date. I realized one day that the date of the computer is wrong. I manually corrected it and the next day it was wrong again. I was suspicious about the internet clock server but couldn't see reason for the unpredictibility of the error

After two days, I solved the pattern. Say, the correct date was April 1. Which is also written as 1/4/2004, the format we use it in Turkey, first the day, then the month. Next time I looked at the date some hours later, I saw that it was January 4. Which is 4/1/2004

Now. It seems that, my XP connects to a server for synchronization. Then the server sends the information in American format (as we say), first the month, then the day. My XP takes it into consideration in the reversed (Turkish) format, first the day, then the month

What's going on? Are there any suggestions

Tevfik Naipoglu

U

Unknown

Find a different iinternet clock server. Hopefully one in Turkey.
Naipoglu said:
I have a Windows XP, Turkish version. And i experienced one weirdest error
anyone could think of. It's about the internet clock synchronization. It took
me days to figure out what could be the pattern of this mysterious change in
my computer's perception of date. I realized one day that the date of the
computer is wrong. I manually corrected it and the next day it was wrong
again. I was suspicious about the internet clock server but couldn't see
reason for the unpredictibility of the error.
After two days, I solved the pattern. Say, the correct date was April 1.
Which is also written as 1/4/2004, the format we use it in Turkey, first the
day, then the month. Next time I looked at the date some hours later, I saw
that it was January 4. Which is 4/1/2004.
Now. It seems that, my XP connects to a server for synchronization. Then the
server sends the information in American format (as we say), first the month,
then the day. My XP takes it into consideration in the reversed (Turkish)
format, first the day, then the month.

P

Peter Scott

I use the same time format as I'm from England. I use an American site to
update my clock daily. The software I use adjusts for the difference.
But first is your computer set to the American mode or European. Check in
the Control Panel on the Start menu and look for the Regional and Language
Options. Is the region selected Turkish? If it is then fine.

The location for the company that supplies the free clock software is.
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/

It does work for European computers.

G

But isn't it weird also that there are hundreds of thousands of Turkish Windows XPs around and I have never heard of such an error from anyone, neither in these newsgroups nor people around me

Yes, maybe most of the computer owners in Turkey still use dial-up connection to internet so they probably don't use this synchronization feature but at least the MS people should be aware of the problem, don't you think

A

Alex Nichol

Naipoglu said:
Now. It seems that, my XP connects to a server for synchronization. Then the server sends the information in American format (as we say), first the month, then the day. My XP takes it into consideration in the reversed (Turkish) format, first the day, then the month.

This is the first time I have heard of such a server taking any interest
in the date at all. Hour/min/second with due regard for Time Zone, but
that is all. What server are you using?

G

I use "time.windows.com" by default. To be sure, I opened the "Date and Time Properties" and realized that there has been a time synch operation this morning with the following information on the "Internet Clock" separation (with my translation): "Time has been updated successfully from time.windows.com Date: 06.09.2004 Time: 07:14 Next Update: 13.09.2004 07:14"

It would be correct if this was a US version of WinXP but it is not. And when I look at the Date and Time separation of the same window, I see on the calendar that the date is September 9 (!) which is of course 06.09.2004 in American format. But believe me, my computer is set to display the date in Turkish format.

Err is human so what's going on?

Tevfik Naipoglu

G

I use "time.windows.com" by default. To be sure, I opened the "Date and Time Properties" and realized that there has been a time synch operation this morning with the following information on the "Internet Clock" separation (with my translation): "Time has been updated successfully from time.windows.com Date: 06.09.2004 Time: 07:14 Next Update: 13.09.2004 07:14"

It would be correct if this was a US version of WinXP but it is not. And when I look at the Date and Time separation of the same window, I see on the calendar that the date is September 9 (!) which is of course 06.09.2004 in American format. But believe me, my computer is set to display the date in Turkish format.

Tevfik Naipoglu

G

Tevfik Naipoglu

A

Alex Nichol

Naipoglu said:

This looks like one of those cases where two different settings in
Windows have got out of step with each other. This often comes right if
you reset to something different from either and then back again. So I
would go to Regional and language and choose some place entirely
different, eg Germany, and Apply. Also take the Custom for that and
change the date order again - eg to the Japanese yyyy/mm/dd. OK,
logout, log back in and reset things to what you want

Ask a Question