To ngen or not to ngen?

  • Start date Start date

PSiegmann

Hello,

we have a small application on one server that does every 10 minutes
(cronjob) some filetasks and very basic SQL queries against an
installed SQL Server Express instance there.

Does it make sense to ngen that application?

No, ngen is not intended for server type applications. In fact, the ASP.NET
engine will simply ignore the ngen image and revert back to the original
image. It won't tell you so, so you might think it is working but it really
isn't (something to do with shared assemblies, but it isn't really
important). You should be simply using the site warmer feature of ASP.NET to
keep the application warm.

Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
The O.W.C. Black Book, 2nd Edition
Exclusively on www.lulu.com/owc $19.99

Alvin Bruney said:
No, ngen is not intended for server type applications. In fact, the
ASP.NET engine will simply ignore the ngen image and revert back to the
original image. It won't tell you so, so you might think it is working but
it really isn't (something to do with shared assemblies, but it isn't
really important). You should be simply using the site warmer feature of
ASP.NET to keep the application warm.

Hmm.... This is the first time I've heard that NGen on ASP .NET projects
doesn't do anything. Can you point me to some documentation about that?
Also, what is the "site warmer" feature you are referring to?

Thanks.

Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
The O.W.C. Black Book, 2nd Edition
Exclusively on www.lulu.com/owc $19.99

Hello,

we have a small application on one server that does every 10 minutes
(cronjob) some filetasks and very basic SQL queries against an
installed SQL Server Express instance there.

Does it make sense to ngen that application?

perhaps he means precompiling the asp.net site

Misbah Arefin

Scott M. said:
Alvin Bruney said:
[...]

It's not an ASP.NET application. It's a command line app, that gets
executed every 10 minutes.

No, I believe he's talking about NGen. Precompiled web sites are a very
different issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331979

Scott M. said:
Alvin Bruney said:
[...]

If this is a console app, you can ngen. I saw server in your post and
immediately assumed server application. Sorry.

Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
The O.W.C. Black Book, 2nd Edition
Exclusively on www.lulu.com/owc $19.99

No,ngenis not intended for server type applications. In fact, the ASP.NET
engine will simply ignore thengenimage and revert back to the original
image. It won't tell you so, so you might think it is working but it
really
isn't (something to do with shared assemblies, but it isn't really
important). You should be simply using the site warmer feature of ASP.NET
keep the application warm.

It's not an ASP.NET application. It's a command line app, that gets
executed every 10 minutes.

Thanks!

Scott M. said:
"Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
[...]