Thunderbird problem

  • Start date Start date

ms

TB works fine except for this problem.
This question didn't get resolved on the TB forum. Maybe someone here has a solution?

When I copy a post in TB using CTRL/U, the full header data appears in the message
area.

How to limit the data to the brief header (subject, date, newsgroup) included with
the message data?

Mike Sa

TB works fine except for this problem.
This question didn't get resolved on the TB forum. Maybe someone here has a solution?
When I copy a post in TB using CTRL/U, the full header data appears in the message
area.
How to limit the data to the brief header (subject, date, newsgroup) included with
the message data?

I wasn't even aware of the CTRL/U key combo.

To do the below:
I simply highlighted all in your message (CTRL/A)
I copied the selected text (CTRL/C)
I pasted it in the entire message (CTRL/V)
And then I manually highlighted what I wanted to cut out and pressed the del
key.

Hmmm, many steps. I'll be looking for a real answer...

From: ms <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Thunderbird problem
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:01:52 -0700

REM said:
I wasn't even aware of the CTRL/U key combo.

To do the below:
I simply highlighted all in your message (CTRL/A)
I copied the selected text (CTRL/C)
I pasted it in the entire message (CTRL/V)
And then I manually highlighted what I wanted to cut out and pressed the del
key.

Hmmm, many steps. I'll be looking for a real answer...

Thanks, REM.

But still a puzzle. With CTRL/A, it highlights all in the message box. But no
header. In TB, the subject, title and time are in a "frame" above the message, not
in the message box.

How did you get the desired brief header doing as you described?
What I don't like - CTRL/U gets the full header, but the brief header (like
Netscape 4.79) takes a lot of editing. It is a PITA when you copy many posts with
full header in a clipboard extender, then want to paste into final locations.

Mike Sa

But still a puzzle. With CTRL/A, it highlights all in the message box. But no
header. In TB, the subject, title and time are in a "frame" above the message, not
in the message box.

Ah, I use TB email, but I have never looked at the news reader. In Agent CTRL/A
highlights all, if headers are elected to be shown.
How did you get the desired brief header doing as you described?

I just deleted the other lines after the first four.
What I don't like - CTRL/U gets the full header, but the brief header (like
Netscape 4.79) takes a lot of editing. It is a PITA when you copy many posts with
full header in a clipboard extender, then want to paste into final locations.

True. I didn't know about CTRL/U... maybe someone else does.

REM said:
Ah, I use TB email, but I have never looked at the news reader. In Agent CTRL/A
highlights all, if headers are elected to be shown.

I just deleted the other lines after the first four.

True. I didn't know about CTRL/U... maybe someone else does.

Yes, someone before said Agent copies and maybe there is less to edit. Netscape
4.79 gave me just the display I wanted, but it has trouble with posts when I
started using the individual.net server, so I had to change.

Nobody was excited over this issue in the TB forum, yet IMO copying a post is one
of the basic functions of a newsreader.

Mike Sa

Yes, someone before said Agent copies and maybe there is less to edit. Netscape
4.79 gave me just the display I wanted, but it has trouble with posts when I
started using the individual.net server, so I had to change.
Nobody was excited over this issue in the TB forum, yet IMO copying a post is one
of the basic functions of a newsreader.

I guess it's simple preference and history with (Free) Agent, but I really like
the way it is setup and works. I used an ancient commercial copy a friend gave
me for years. I just know the program and it works great for me.

How do you like Thunderbird?

REM said:
I guess it's simple preference and history with (Free) Agent, but I really like
the way it is setup and works. I used an ancient commercial copy a friend gave
me for years. I just know the program and it works great for me.

How do you like Thunderbird?
Having been used to Netscape for years, TB feels good and has some improvements.
The copy issue is my only complaint, (important to me), otherwise it runs fine
even on my old P166 in W98SE.

I downloaded Free Agent awhile ago, it installs so I haven't used it yet. Did I
understand you to say earlier that it does not give the brief header directly,
still needs to be edited?

Mike Sa

Having been used to Netscape for years, TB feels good and has some improvements.
The copy issue is my only complaint, (important to me), otherwise it runs fine
even on my old P166 in W98SE.
I downloaded Free Agent awhile ago, it installs so I haven't used it yet. Did I
understand you to say earlier that it does not give the brief header directly,
still needs to be edited?

That's right. Your header is:

From: ms <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware