Thumbs.db

  • Start date Start date

JB

Hi.
Does anyone know what the files thumbs.db are related to?
They are hidden and only show if I uncheck 'Hide operating system files'
and aremainly found in the folders where I have images. They've never been
a problem before but now I can't delete the folder that it's in or change
the name of the folder because I get a message saying that Thumbs.db is
being used by another program.
I often use Paintshop Pro to browse all my images but PSP creates a file
called pspbrwse.jbf in the folders.
Don't know if the thumbs thing is with PSPX. But in anycase I still can't
delete the folder even when PSPX is not running.
Any help would be great
Thanks

When viewing a folder with the Thumbnail View, Windows XP creates a thumbs.db
(data base) file. This is a cache of the current pictures in that directory. You
can turn this feature off.

Click "My Computer" (or start the Windows Explorer)
Go to Tools / Folder Options / View
In the first section under Files and Folders, check Do not cache thumbnails
Now you can search for the thumbs.db files on your computer and remove them. No
more should be created.

--

===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

Perfect
Thank you very much for your help

Actually it still is happening whether I have 'Do not cache Thumbnails'
checked or not.
It's so stupid that you can delete one folder and not another totally
randomly.
Do I have to reboot or something each time?

Really annoying - the only other thing I can suggest is a reg edit, I'll
leave that up to you.
Disable the Thumbnail Cache (Windows XP)
or

Hello JB,

I'd like to know if the problem still occurs? If you still need assistance
in this issue, please let me know.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Subject: Re: Thumbs.db

Back
Top