The status window at startup

  • Start date Start date

Every time I start my computer, I get the status window of Windows Defender
on my screen.

Is there a way to prevent Windows Defender screen to appear when all status
are normal and computer is OK?

Can you describe this a bit more--it isn't normal, although I believe that
I've seen the same issue posted before. Can you give us a description of
the window--how is it headed, what does it contain?

What you're probably seeing is the Windows Defender home window. Defender
is set to run every time you start your computer, but it should be hidden.
In the Registry, in the key

the Windows Defender startup data should be

%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

It appears that the "hide" part of "MSASCui.exe -hide" is missing or
slightly off. You can check this by opening Windows Defender > Tools >
Software Explorer and, under the category Startup Programs, find Windows
Defender and check to see if its Startup Value is C:\Program Files\Windows
Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide. Note that "MSASCui.exe -hide" must have a
space in it.

If it doesn't look right, and you need help editing the registry, post back.

Excellent thought. I suspect that this can be fixed by a repair or update
install, which may be safer than registry editing.

(start, control panel, add or remove programs, Windows Defender, change,
update)

A repair through Add/Remove is a good idea. I was trying to think of a way
to correct this without going down the Registry Editor path, yet explain
what the problem might be. My thought was to make a .reg file that could be
copied and pasted into Notepad, .etc., which is complex enough for the
uninitiated, should the need arise, but yours is the better solution. One
caveat, however, is if the OP is operating on Vista; "Uninstall or Change a
Program" won't have Defender on its list, since it's built-in as a part of
Windows.

I hope that this problem wouldn't arise in Vista--it would take some manual
editing to create it, I suspect.

..REG files are not a bad idea. I like the Microsoft KB articles for the
timezone issues on Windows 2000 Server that give the text for the .reg and
..vbs files and let the user cut and paste and create the files themselves.
That's more transparent and a lot safer than downloading a file created by an
anonymous person.

However, the cut and paste operation will be beyond some set of users, too.
In the Microsoft case, I think that's where the "guided help" articles come
in--they've got wizard code that will actually do the work on your system. I
don't think we can replicate that in these groups, though!

You are right.

I'm running a french version of XP and Windows Defender

I think there's a mistake in the registry (probably a translation error)

I get this line :

%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -masquer

instead of

%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

Thanks

There's still a bug with that.

When changing the

%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -masquer

%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

My computer crashes at windows startup and reboots instead of loading
normally.

Don't know what to do now.

Any idea of what to do?

Well, doing a cursory Google search of the Web, as well as Groups, for
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -masquer", I'm not seeing that
command used, even among non-English speakers, e.g.,

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ui.exe+-masquer&rnum=3&hl=en#d7bbdaa2a0a3cf60

Try repairing WD going to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, as Bill
Sanderson suggested, choosing Change > Update when you click on Windows
Defender. If that doesn't work, post back.

I guess if your computer won't start normally, you can't get to the Control
Panel... I'm not thinking...

Do you know how to get to Safe Mode? Right when you turn your computer on,
press the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until you see a screen with
some options. Highlight Safe Mode, and Press enter on you key board.
When the Safe Mode Desktop finally appears, go to the Start Menu and click
on Run.... In the Run box type:

msconfig

When the System Configuration window pops up, click on the Startup tab, then
uncheck Windows Defender (the line with "MSASCui.exe -hide" in it), and
click on Apply and OK. Restart your computer and allow it to boot normally.
Then do a repair in Control Panel, as per previous post...

Hi Compufly,

is you are running a French version of WD then i think it should be
MSASCui.exe -masquer
But I think Engel should know that! :)
Thats French for hide!

Regards >*< TOM >*<
(Dutch)

Compufly schreef:

Hi Dean,

You are right, in my Dutch version, i found in the registry also the
hide command.
In Dutch it should be "Verberg"
So "MSASCui.exe -hide" should be the right thing.
In the registry it is:
"C:\program files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"-hide

Sorry,

Regards >*< TOM >*<

dean-dean schreef:

No apologies are necessary. This is kind of odd. On its face, the command
"MSASCui.exe -masquer" looks legitimate for a French Version of WD, but it's
apparently causing Compufly's WD not to be hidden when the computer is
started. I'm thinking the English "hide" is the correct entry, but, of
course, I can't be positive. And how did the entry "masquer" get there in
the first place, if it's not the right one? Any French users out there in
Newsgroup Land...?

Now I've just noticed that your Dutch entry has the full path in quotes,
with -hide outside the quotations, and no space before -hide:
"C:\program files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"-hide
This is slightly different than mine, which has a space and no quotes:
%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide.

Hi Dean,

The space does it! ;)

MSASCui.exe -hide.
With no space i got the program window and with the space MSASCui starts
without the program window.

Regards >*< TOM >*<

dean-dean schreef:

I'm sorry to post so late, but I had something else to do...

I've new stuff for you:

I've found from altavista search engine many IjackThis reports with -masquer
option in the registry for french installation.
I've also found that -masquer option has no effect, the main window of
windows defender will always appear.

I've tried to end the windows defender process (ctrl+alt+delete - end task)
and to run it myself writing:
"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
in start menu - RUN

The program windows defender starts without displaying its window.

So the correct option is -hide.

Now the real issues :
1- When we install windows defender french version, why is the installer
writing -masquer instead of -hide in the registry? (wrong translation of the
package?)

2- When updating / reparing the installation, same thing -masquer is written
back to the registry

3- Why is my computer crashing at windows startup if I change -masquer for
-hide in the registry, but is not crashing when my computer has ended the
boot procedure and I manually run the command with -hide option?

4- Why, if I let the windows defender start line in the registry without
option, my computer crashes if I close the windows defender main window
(using X) before it has completly ended the bootup process (startup of all
the programs in RUN)

In other words, the -hide option must be there instead of -masquer, it must
be a translation issue. Don't know how to report to MS

And in other words, in some strange circomstances (don't know why), my
computer gets unstable when running windows defender...

This can be helpfull.

The system was running fine before installing windows defender.

The system is now running fine if I disable ASUS SmartDoctor at startup.

The system works fine if I manually start either SmartDoctor / Windows
Defender after
each of them has finished loading.

So I'll uninstall ASUS SmartDoctor wich is a video card real time monitoring
software.

But I'm still asking to myself this question :
Why is the french version of Windows Defender installed with the
misstranslated -masquer option instead of -hide

It looks like you did your homework. Good job. This is quite a mystery.
Apparently, as you've found,

"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide

is the correct command, and the French command is simply ignored, whereby
Defender is not hidden at startup.

Running the English command in RUN, from your desktop, should not be any
different that having the registry run the same command at startup.

This appears to be a bug that Microsoft should know about. If you're up for
the challenge, you could try this:

Open Notepad, and copy the following (between the dashes)(i.e, don't include
the dashes):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Windows
Defender"=hex(2):25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,\
00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,\
73,00,20,00,44,00,65,00,66,00,65,00,6e,00,64,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,4d,00,53,\
00,41,00,53,00,43,00,75,00,69,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2d,00,68,00,\
69,00,64,00,65,00,00,00

Paste it into Notepad, and save the file as defenderstart.reg (it should not
have a .txt extension). Close Notepad. Double-click on the file
defenderstart.reg, and allow the merge when asked.

Restart your computer to see if this works. If there are the same problems,
run update / repair again in Add/Remove, which will put things back where
they started. Post back, and in the meantime I will try to figure out how to

I don't know anything about ASUS SmartDoctor, so whether or not you want
that on your computer is up to you, of course. The .reg file I gave you
will be the English version,

%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

and you will be able to see it as such in the Registry Editor. It's written
in hex format in notepad, which may look confusing, but I wanted to make
sure the value type and data were correct.

In fact, I forgot to tell you this before :
I don't really need any kind of step by step to run through the registry ;0)
I'm troubleshooting computers since a while.
I was just searching specific information about this application I never had
to work with before : windows defender

I already changed to -hide option directly in regedit.exe

I had to remove the startup line for ASUS SmartDoctor (video card ASUS /
Nvidia realtime monitor)
because it enters in conflict with windows defender at computer startup.
Each of these two applications runs well alone, but when they start
together, it reboots in a crash.

Thanks for all your help, it's sure that Microsoft should know about this
one (the -hide instead of -masquer).
I had a link to microsoft beta report or something like this, but as I had
to format my drive, I'll have to check out where I downloaded this
application and report the bug.

Thanks once more and I hope this will help improve the quality of the
applications we are using.

--
Compufly

dean-dean said:
[...]