The Page Cannot Be Displayed

Bill Jackson

I am running WindowsXP with SP2. My browser is Internet Explorer6. I have all the current fixes and updates to my operating system.

Lately, when I bootup, I note there is a message in my browser that says "The page cannot be displayed". This message only appears in an area of the browser where an ad should appear. The message does not seem to be confined to any one web site. I have surfed to different sites and have noted the message appearing in different parts of my screen.

While I don't recall making in changes in my configuration or setup, it is possible that I have made a change somewhere that I don't recall.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I should start looking for the cause of this message and how I should go about correcting it? I have done a Google search, and while there is a ton of stuff on "This page cannot be displayed", I did not find anything that pertained to my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don Varnau

Hi,
This content is probably being blocked by a HOSTS file or a program setup to
block

To check the HOSTS file...
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is
not hiding file extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS file
at [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If
there are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in
front an entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the HOSTS
file to HOSTS.OLD to disable it.
More on the HOSTS file at http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

Check the settings of any security, privacy, ad-blocking programs that are
running. One of them may be blocking this content.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Bill Jackson" <jackson.zilchspam[at]att.net> wrote in message
[...]

Don:

Thanks for the response.

I renamed my Host file to Host.old, rebooted by computer, then opened
Internet Explorer. The problem is still there. Do you have any other
suggestions as to where I should look for a solution? Thanks!

Don Varnau

Hi Bill,
This really sounds like a filtering program is blocking this image. Are you
running any ad-blockers?

Otherwise, there are a number of reasons that an image wouldn't display.
Start here: http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/redx.htm

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
This content is probably being blocked by a HOSTS file or a program setup
to block ads.

"Bill Jackson" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I am running Popup Stopper. Should I uninstall it?

--
(e-mail address removed))

Don Varnau said:
[...]

The basic, free version of Pop-up Stopper wouldn't be causing this. A
program with a block list of IP Addresses or URLs might be- something like
AdSubtract.

Look through the "Additional information from Mike Burgess:
" section at http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/redx.htm Do you have any of those
programs installed?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Bill Jackson said:
[...]

Under "Additional Information", the only programs that I'm running is a HOST
file. As you will recall, I have already renamed that file "HOST.OLD" and
that did not change a thing. I did open that file and looked inside. I had
no idea what some of that stuff was, so I wouldn't dare delete anything.

Thanks for all your help. It looks like I will have to ride this one out. It
does not seem to affect my operation-it simply is annoying that I can't
figure out what is causing it.

--
(e-mail address removed))

Don Varnau said:
[...]