The page cannot be displayed

  • Start date Start date

kukreja.rajan

I am getting this error message only for a particular site i.e.
http://www.bwcinema.com

I tried all the possible options of using alternate browser, deleting
temp files, disabling firewall, anti-virus etc.

I am able to ping the machine, also able to reach the web site when I
use some kind of Anonymous Surfing tool.

I called my ISP Provider (Time Warner) they said that the issue is with
the website because they are able to access the web site at their end.

Any clue would be highly appreciated. I am using Win XP Media Edition.
I have even uninstalled the Sun's JRE.

Thanks

RK

Hi,
Are you running a HOSTS file?
To check the HOSTS file in Windows XP...
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is
not hiding file extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS file
at [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If
there are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in
front an entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the HOSTS
file to HOSTS.OLD to disable it.

Additional info at:
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:

Next, try clearing the XP DNS Cache:
From Start> Run, type in or copy/paste
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.
Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318803

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

No, I am not =:(

Thanks
RK

Don said:
Hi,
Are you running a HOSTS file?
To check the HOSTS file in Windows XP...
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is
not hiding file extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS file
at [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If
there are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in
front an entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the HOSTS
file to HOSTS.OLD to disable it.

Additional info at:
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:

Next, try clearing the XP DNS Cache:
From Start> Run, type in or copy/paste
[...]

Did you run
ipconfig /flushdns

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

No, I am not =:(

Thanks
RK

Don said:
Hi,
Are you running a HOSTS file?
To check the HOSTS file in Windows XP...
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is
not hiding file extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS
file
at [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If
there are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in
front an entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the
HOSTS
file to HOSTS.OLD to disable it.

Additional info at:
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:

Next, try clearing the XP DNS Cache:
From Start> Run, type in or copy/paste
[...]

Yes I did.
Did you run
ipconfig /flushdns

--

Don said:
Hi,
Are you running a HOSTS file?
To check the HOSTS file in Windows XP...
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is
not hiding file extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS
file
at [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If
there are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in
front an entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the
HOSTS
file to HOSTS.OLD to disable it.

Additional info at:
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:

Next, try clearing the XP DNS Cache:
From Start> Run, type in or copy/paste

<kukreja.rajan[at]gmail.com> wrote in message
I am getting this error message only for a particular site i.e.
http://www.bwcinema.com

I tried all the possible options of using alternate browser, deleting
temp files, disabling firewall, anti-virus etc.

I am able to ping the machine, also able to reach the web site when I
use some kind of Anonymous Surfing tool.

I called my ISP Provider (Time Warner) they said that the issue is with
the website because they are able to access the web site at their end.

Any clue would be highly appreciated. I am using Win XP Media Edition.
I have even uninstalled the Sun's JRE.

Hi,
Are you sure that all third-party security programs were shut down?
* Important... Turn on the Windows Firewall (from Control Panel or Security
Center) before disabling a third-party firewall.

You might try this test *very* briefly because you'll be running with
security
programs shutdown...
Startup in Safe Mode with Networking.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=315222 If the problem goes
away, a program that didn't load in Safe Mode is causing it. Look at
security/privacy programs, ad-blockers, etc. to find and disable the program
or it's troublesome feature.

If running a cable modem, dsl modem or router, have you, at some point, shut
*everything* down for a few minutes? This sometimes helps.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Yes I did.
Did you run
ipconfig /flushdns
No, I am not =:(

Thanks
RK
Don Varnau wrote:
Hi,
Are you running a HOSTS file?
To check the HOSTS file in Windows XP...
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is
not hiding file extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS
file
at [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If
there are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in
front an entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the
HOSTS
file to HOSTS.OLD to disable it.

Additional info at:
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:

Next, try clearing the XP DNS Cache:
From Start> Run, type in or copy/paste
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.
Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318803
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
<kukreja.rajan[at]gmail.com> wrote in message
I am getting this error message only for a particular site i.e.
http://www.bwcinema.com

I tried all the possible options of using alternate browser, deleting
temp files, disabling firewall, anti-virus etc.

I am able to ping the machine, also able to reach the web site when I
use some kind of Anonymous Surfing tool.

I called my ISP Provider (Time Warner) they said that the issue is with
the website because they are able to access the web site at their end.

Any clue would be highly appreciated. I am using Win XP Media Edition.
I have even uninstalled the Sun's JRE.

I tried both the options i.e.

1. Startup in Safe Mode with Networking and
2. Shutting down my cable modem.

But No Luck...

Thanks

Don Varnau wrote:
Hi,
Are you running a HOSTS file?
To check the HOSTS file in Windows XP...
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is
not hiding file extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS
file
at [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If
there are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in
front an entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the
HOSTS
file to HOSTS.OLD to disable it.

Additional info at:
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:

Next, try clearing the XP DNS Cache:
From Start> Run, type in or copy/paste
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.
Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318803
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
<kukreja.rajan[at]gmail.com> wrote in message
I am getting this error message only for a particular site i.e.
http://www.bwcinema.com

I tried all the possible options of using alternate browser, deleting
temp files, disabling firewall, anti-virus etc.

I am able to ping the machine, also able to reach the web site when I
use some kind of Anonymous Surfing tool.

I called my ISP Provider (Time Warner) they said that the issue is with
the website because they are able to access the web site at their end.

Any clue would be highly appreciated. I am using Win XP Media Edition.
I have even uninstalled the Sun's JRE.

Good news is that now I am able to access the web site. Two days back I
wrote to the web site owner, I am not sure what they fixed at their
end, I am just keen to know that can a web site block a particular
user. This is just a general question.

Once again thanks for helping me out in resolving this issue.

Regards

Don said:
[...]

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM wrote:
Did you run
ipconfig /flushdns

Don Varnau wrote:
Hi,
Are you running a HOSTS file?
To check the HOSTS file in Windows XP...
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is
not hiding file extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS
file
at [C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If
there are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in
front an entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the
HOSTS
file to HOSTS.OLD to disable it.

Additional info at:
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:

Next, try clearing the XP DNS Cache:
From Start> Run, type in or copy/paste
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear the Temporary Internet Files and restart.
Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318803
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
<kukreja.rajan[at]gmail.com> wrote in message
I am getting this error message only for a particular site i.e.
http://www.bwcinema.com

I tried all the possible options of using alternate browser, deleting
temp files, disabling firewall, anti-virus etc.

I am able to ping the machine, also able to reach the web site when I
use some kind of Anonymous Surfing tool.

I called my ISP Provider (Time Warner) they said that the issue is with
the website because they are able to access the web site at their end.

Any clue would be highly appreciated. I am using Win XP Media Edition.
I have even uninstalled the Sun's JRE.

Back
Top