"the page cannot be displayed" message

  • Start date Start date

Dave Walters \(note surname for email\)

no good with pcs, not even sure if I am on right page for
my prob but I AM DESPARATE. Similar to Gloria on 21/7 I
can log on to home page for internet banking/savings/ISP
providers etc., with no problems but as soon as I try to
access my accounts or log on to any page which requires a
password or personal details I get the "page cannot be
displayed" message. I follow instuctions to no avail and I
have been told that my settings, whatever they are, are
all O.K. MS suggest anti-virus fault, anti-virus suggest
some sort of spybug, F9 suggest software so I am going
round in circles at between 50p and £1 per minute and
still no further forward. Any help or suggestions
appreciated.

If you are being prompted for your password.

You Cannot Access Your MSN E-mail Account or Authenticate with a Web Site in
Various Programs
When you try to access your MSN e-mail account, you may receive the
following error message:
You cannot successfully authenticate with a Web site in various programs
(for example, Windows Media Player). For example, you may be prompted for
your user name and your password several times, and you may receive the
error message that is described in this section or an other error message
from the Web site that indicates that you cannot access even after you type
the correct user name and password.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813951 (i. e. 6. W98/se/NT4/W2000/XP
6/5/2003)
--

Cannot Open, Find, display problems. Select Secured sites for some clues.
http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/canotofd.htm

Free online virus scan.

Norton/Symantec AntiVirus
Symantec's home page. Search for possible virus with the Search Engine.
http://www.symantec.com
On Line check of your computer.

McAfee, Network Security & Management
You can also check your computer one line.
http://us.mcafee.com/default.asp
McAfee, OnLine free Scan
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?cid=9914

It may becaused by parasites that are not virus. Check it out.

Try this: Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Browsing
Uncheck the Enable 3rd party browser extensions

If this clears your problem then find out who the culprit(s) is/are with
these tools.

Let AD-Aware Scan your system for advertising Spyware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

If you use a HOSTS file, beware of this new issue.
Ad-Aware has decided to include a new detection when scanning the HOSTS
file. This now creates a "Bad hosts file entry" in the log file generated at
the end of a scan. The best thing to do is to place a check in each entry,
right-click and select: "Add selection to ignorelist". Otherwise if you let
AWW "fix" these items it will trash the HOSTS file! Even if you have it
"locked" by [example] SpywareBlaster or Winpatrol. It does not return the
attributes and renames the HOSTS file incorrectly to hosts.

and:

SpyBot-S&D
http://security.kolla.de/

p.s Reset the 3rd party browser setting.

More: This may be caused by a third-party program (adware, spyware,
parasite).
Get AdAware and SpyBot and run them both. Keep them up to date.
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Additional link:
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

You may need this removal tool.
More: Complete list by variant with up-to-date information.
More: Removal tool: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

CWShredder - Tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=47

IMPORTANT:
Before trying to remove spyware, download a copy of LSPFIX from
the URL below - some malware may kill your internet connection when it is
removed, this program will enable you to regain your connection.
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html (if your OS is Win2k or
XP)

Important: "So how did I get infected in the first place?"
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051

Henri Leboeuf
Web page: http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/index.htm
===
"Dave Walters (note surname for email)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message no good with pcs, not even sure if I am on right page for
my prob but I AM DESPARATE. Similar to Gloria on 21/7 I
can log on to home page for internet banking/savings/ISP
providers etc., with no problems but as soon as I try to
access my accounts or log on to any page which requires a
password or personal details I get the "page cannot be
displayed" message. I follow instuctions to no avail and I
have been told that my settings, whatever they are, are
all O.K. MS suggest anti-virus fault, anti-virus suggest
some sort of spybug, F9 suggest software so I am going
round in circles at between 50p and £1 per minute and
still no further forward. Any help or suggestions
appreciated.

Back
Top