Text Size in IE

  • Start date Start date

I and a tech at a local company and I see this problem a lot. The IE display
settings are out of whack and the text is far too large making it impossible
to read many pages. I have tried the obvious simple fixes of going to
view>text size> and setting it to medium and going into the windows display
settings and setting them to default. I have set every setting to default and
still the text is monstrously huge! I even looked in the registry. Still no
dice. This problem is so common yet specific that even goggling it does not
come up with the desired results. I am level 1 support and I would like to be
able to remide this issue instead of passing on a ticket and causing the
users more time lost. At this point is it best just to pass it on and have
the other support people reload IE?

I don't expect this to make any difference since it should be no different
than setting the text size from the menus, but just for my sanity:

IE has a shortcut for changing page text size that I discovered by freak
chance, and it caused me some tense moments until I realised what had
happened: hold down <Ctrl> and roll the mouse wheel (the one that scrolls,
if you have one - don't literally move the mouse itself!) away from you a
click or two - does the text size shrink (for the sake of it, if that
doesn't work try rolling the mouse wheel the other way)?

Check that you are not using a User Stylesheet - Internet Options/General
Tab/Accessibility Button

If you want to use your own stylesheet remove any font size styling from the
script.

Some third party toolbars like the Ask search bar also have a Magnify
option. You can test if a toolbar is causing the magnified views by
disabling Third-party Browser Helpers on the Advanced tab of Internet
Options.

Thank you both for replying:

That was a good shot but no cigar. I an kindof hopping that there is a
registry fix out there that will fix this issue. Also the background graphics

Hi,
Have the user check these settings:
Internet Options> General> Accessibility
and
Control Panel> Accessibility Options> Display.
For most users, nothing should be checked- especially "Use High Contrast" in
the second location.

It's reported that some desktop themes will check High Contrast.

And... kudos for wanting to resolve this instead of kicking it up a level.
;-)

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Hi Candice - Go to start / run and type:

regsvr32 mshtml.dll

If that doesn't help, try this .reg fix from MVP Kelly Theriot's site,
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, line 227, "Set IE text size
to larger or smaller", direct download for smaller:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/iesmallertxt.reg and see if that
fixes it for you.

Also, if you're using Eudora, then this post by MVP Alan Edwards may apply:
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...orer.ie6.setup/msg/a54da8fcd210c7d7?hl=en&lr=

Lastly, you may want to try doing an IE reset. In IE, Tools|Internet
Options|Programs, then click on Reset Web settings. (Uncheck 'reset your
home page' if you don't want that restored to the Default. This will also
necessitate you're manually restoring any Search customizations you may have
made.)

See if any of this helps. :)

Also check in Accessibility Options display tab and make sure use high
contrast is not checked.

It's reported that some desktop themes will check High Contrast.

Don,

I suspect that at least some of these cases may be due to the
keyboard shortcut which is defined for setting that: Left-Alt+Left-Shift+PrintScrn
E.g. I imagine that some people might accidentally hit that combination
when trying to do a Print Screen of the current window.

FYI

Robert
---

Back