TCP Packets Segment Retransmitted

Jonas Haggren

Hi..

I have a Windows XP computer that are running Windows Media Encoder and are
broadcasting to a Windows Media Server.
This was working very fine while i was running Windows XP without any
service packs.

Later on i installed all windows updates and now i got trouble with TCP
Segments Retransmits, if i send a TCP packet (from the windows media encoder
to the Windows Media server on the internet), i get twice as many
Retransmits.. (I sending 1 packet and get 2 retransmits).
due to this i get a very poor and bad stream on the internet.

I know this is due to a quick fix that microsoft did. but i can't find which
one, but i know it has something to do that they increased the size of the
TCP packets. anyone know how to decrease these back to the default size as
in Windows XP with now Service packs. Or better. anyone who knows the
optimal settings?

Jonas Haggren
Sys. Mgr.

Jason Tan

Dear Jonas,

Thanks for posting!

I suggest you attempt to perform the following methods:

Method 1: Disable the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service.
To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
2. In the Services list, right-click Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
Sharing (ICS), and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab, in the Startup type list, click Disabled, and then
click OK.
4. In the Services dialog box, on the File menu, click Exit.

More information for your reference:
842264 Network performance and data throughput may be significantly slower
after installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842264

Method 2: You may attempt to perform system restore to restore the previous
version of Windows XP If the issue occurred recently. For more information
please refer to the following article:

306084 How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306084

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan