System pauses for ages when click or right-click properties on large files

  • Start date Start date

news.plus.net

I have searched and searched for reports of my problem, but cant find a thing.

Ever since I installed Windows 2000, I go to explorer and click on a large file (with intention of copying
or deleting it for example). Then the disks whir for ages and my system goes really slow.
It takes even longer to look at the properties.

Anyone seen this before?

It doesnt happen all the time or with every file, but it is bloody irritating.

Please help.

--Nick

When this situation occurs, check to see what process or processes are
showing the highest CPU usage in Task Manager.
Joe Griffin
From: "news.plus.net" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system
Subject: System pauses for ages when click or right-click properties on
large files
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:55:58 -0000

I have searched and searched for reports of my problem, but cant find a
thing.

Ever since I installed Windows 2000, I go to explorer and click on a large
file (with intention of copying
or deleting it for example). Then the disks whir for ages and my system
goes really slow.
It takes even longer to look at the properties.

Anyone seen this before?

It doesnt happen all the time or with every file, but it is bloody
irritating.

Please help.

--Nick

Query our Knowledge Base for "high cpu" and "system process"
This is an article I found that may be applicable.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;299956

Joe Griffin[MS]

From: "news.plus.net" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system