Sysprep.inf question

  • Start date Start date

Mike

Using RIS I can customize which OU to put the computer account into when it
is automatically joined to the domain, and I can also customize the computer
name to increment with numbers.

Example:
xpcomp001
xpcomp002
xpcomp003

Is this possible to do these 2 things with sysprep.inf?

Hi,

Regarding your purpose 1, you can add
[Identification]
MachineObjectOU = "OU = myou,OU = myparentou,DC = mydom,DC = mycompany,DC =
com"
in sysprep.inf to add the computer into specific OU.

226315 Computer Account Organizational Unit Can Be Specified by Using the
Unattend.txt Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;226315

Regarding your purpose 2, you can configure it at RIS server. The following
two articles can help.

299441 How to Install a Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 Image to
a Windows Server 2003 RIS Server
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;299441

Step-by-Step Guide to Remote OS Installation
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/remoteos
.mspx>

Have a good day.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Thank you for your help.
The first link about the OU is exactly what I was looking for.
On the second part of my question, I am not going to be using RIS. Is there
a way to create custom computer names in the sysprep.inf like RIS does?

=
[...]

microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.g
eneral

Hi Mike,

Just consider one thing: If you don't use RIS, how can a image knows how
many computers have been deployed? Therefore, we need to configure the name
rule shoudl on the deploy tools.

Thanks.

Subject: Re: Sysprep.inf question