supernewbie-- how to follow all replies to a given post?

  • Start date Start date

newbie

here's my supernewbie questions-- probably dont even
belong in this forum, these are just about the MSDN
Newsgroups UI (or is there another ui that i'm supposed
to be using?)

1. most important: is it possible to "subscribe" to a
single thread, that is to either receive notifications or
somehow follow in more or less real time any new posts on
a given thread?

2. using the msdn Newsgroups forum, is there a way to
search dotnet.languages.csharp (titles or full text?)

3. is there a way to persist my windows settings so that
i don't have to adjust the panes each time?

4. is there a way to convince the Forward (E-mail) link
(implemented as javascript:sendForward()!!) to forward
replies that exceed the small number of characters it
currently allows (my best solution currently is forward
the main post and cut&paste the replies)?

Thanks in advance!!

here's my supernewbie questions-- probably dont even
belong in this forum, these are just about the MSDN
Newsgroups UI (or is there another ui that i'm supposed
to be using?)
<snip>

Have you tried using a news client instead of the MSDN website?

Your ISP probably carries most of the ms groups, just find out what the
address is (eg. NTL = text.news.ntlworld.com) and create a news account in
Outlook Express (installs with Windows -> c:\Program Files\Outlook
Express\msimn.exe)

This allos full posts when forwarding, your panes remembers their settings,
you can do full text searching (only on bodies, if you've actually
downloaded them though), and most of all, if you set a message rule up to
make your own posts (by email address) as "Watched", any posts below it will
appear Red (and the group will go Read if it contains any unread, watched
posts) so you can quickly read replies to your posts (or other threads you
choose to make watched)

HTH

thank you!

--
Daisy The Cow

.

Daisy, this is such a useful reply (doh!) that i just wanted to thank you
again-- it turned out that i didnt have my isp newsgroup server configured
correctly, but now that i do it works just great as advertised-- thanks
again!

newbie said:
Daisy, this is such a useful reply (doh!) that i just wanted to thank you
again-- it turned out that i didnt have my isp newsgroup server configured
correctly, but now that i do it works just great as advertised-- thanks
again!

That'll be £15 please ;o)

Back
Top