Span language Problem

Bobby

How can I disable the "span language" function in Frontpage (<span
lang="en-us">).
I have "Italian" as my keyboard language while my partner has "English".
When I pass her a file Frontpage automatically inserts the Span Language
tags and I can't figure out how to disable the function.
I know it's possible to change the keyboard but she is more comfortable
using an English keyboard, any suggestions on how to diable the function
altogether?

Jim Buyens

Please refer to:

FrontPage Adds <span lang="en-us">
http://www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=37

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.interlacken.com
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
||---------------------------------------------------
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)
|/---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

Bobby

Hi Jim,

I tried your suggestions ont he link you provided but still get teh span
tags.
Number 3 is not clear to me: "Make sure the Ignore The Keyboard When
Deciding The Encoding Of New Pages check box is cleared"
Do you mean checked? Or do you mean not checked?
In any event I tried both checking and unchecking with a multitude of
combinations - first typing with keyboard in Italian, then English - then
Italian again.
Still can't get rid of the span tags!

I'm using Frontpage 2002.

Jim Buyens

Bobby said:
Hi Jim,

I tried your suggestions ont he link you provided but still get teh span
tags.
Number 3 is not clear to me: "Make sure the Ignore The Keyboard When
Deciding The Encoding Of New Pages check box is cleared"
Do you mean checked? Or do you mean not checked?

Sorry: make sure that box is *selected* (that is, checked).
In any event I tried both checking and unchecking with a multitude of
combinations - first typing with keyboard in Italian, then English - then
Italian again.
Still can't get rid of the span tags!

I'm using Frontpage 2002.

Well, that setting only affects new pages. Did you find that it
didnl't make a difference even on new pages?

For each existing page, you need the second part of the procedure:

1. Choose Properties from the File menu.
2. Click the Language Tab.
3. Set Mark Current Document As to <none>.
4. Set Save The Document As to US/Western European.
5. Set Reload The Current Document to <Automatic Encoding>.

Step 3 is equivalent to removing:

and step 4 is equivalent to adding/correcting:

charset=windows-1252">

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.interlacken.com
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
||---------------------------------------------------
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)
|/---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

Bobby

Jim Buyens said:
"Bobby" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Sorry: make sure that box is *selected* (that is, checked).

Well, that setting only affects new pages. Did you find that it
didnl't make a difference even on new pages?

No difference even on new pages.
My guess is that my version has a bug or something.

thanks anyway

Jim Buyens

Please post the following to this thread:

o The entire <head> section from one of the problem pages.

o The exact contents of one of the unwanted <span> tags.

o For the same page, the settings in efffect under File, Properties,
Languge.

o For the same site, the setting in effect under Tools, Site Settings,
Language.

o The setting in effect under Control Panel, Keyboard, Input Locales,
Change, Default Input Language. (The path to this setting might be
different, depending on your OS.)

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.interlacken.com
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
||---------------------------------------------------
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)
|/---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

Here's the requested info:

1) <head> section:
<head>

<LINK REL=stylesheet TYPE="text/css" HREF="/Library/insiders.css">
<!-- #BeginEditable "doctitle" -->
<title>ISD-ITSB isd lan printer</title>
<!-- #EndEditable -->

</head>

2) <span> tag:

3) File, Properties, Language settings for this page:
<none>
US/Western European (ISO)
<Automatic Encoding>

4) Tools, Site Settings, Language
English (United States)
US/Western European (ISO)
Ignore Keyboard option is CHECKED

5) Using XP: Under Regional and Language Options, Languages, Details, Settings, Default Input Language is set to English (United States) - US. All other settings under Regional and Language Options are also set to United States.

6) Sample text from the insiders.css file:
H6 {
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size : 7 pt;
color: #006699;
}
P {
font-family : Verdana, Arial, sans-serif ;
font-size : 9pt;
}
A {
text-decoration: none;
color: #006699;
}
A:Hover {
text-decoration: underline;
color: #003366;
}

Thanks,
Sandy

Jim Buyens

In your DWT file, try changing:

and then be sure to Update All Pages.

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.interlacken.com
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
||---------------------------------------------------
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)
|/---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

Stefan B Rusynko

Use of
Shouldn't generate the span tags
- could be lack of a language meta tags w/ it
Try

--

> [...]
| > text-decoration: none;
| > color: #006699;
| > }
| > A:Hover {
| > text-decoration: underline;
| > color: #003366;
| > }
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Sandy
| >

| > "Jim Buyens" wrote:
| >
| > > Please post the following to this thread:
| > >
| > > o The entire <head> section from one of the problem pages.
| > >
| > > o The exact contents of one of the unwanted <span> tags.
| > >
| > > o For the same page, the settings in efffect under File, Properties,
| > > Languge.
| > >
| > > o For the same site, the setting in effect under Tools, Site Settings,
| > > Language.
| > >
| > > o The setting in effect under Control Panel, Keyboard, Input Locales,
| > > Change, Default Input Language. (The path to this setting might be

US/Western European (ISO) character set and I have made sure that Site Settings and the File Properties are using the same character
set. Any more suggestions? Thanks -

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

Jim, the DWT file appears to be a shared file that I didn't think I could change without coordinating with other people, but I plan to follow-up on this. It does have the charset=iso-8859-1. But I also created a new web page in FrontPage, using the template that has been designed for us to use and see that this DWT file is no longer referenced. The web page that I encountered these problems on is an older file that has gone through several conversions of formats, templates, etc.

Stefan, since my doc already had one of the meta statements in it, I added the two additional ones you suggested and this has stopped the SPAN tags from being inserted. I tried it on another existing doc and got the same results. I did have to add these statements while in the CODE view, as these options are grayed out when in the DESIGN view. And I did get the warning about making changes in the uneditable regions of the doc.

Again, thanks -
Sandy