spaces in image files

• Thread starter Thread starter George Hester
  • Start date Start date
G

George Hester

At my website I have both paths and images with spaces in them. Not a lot like this but a few. A user tried these areas before and had no issues. Why I have the spaces is a long story and I can basically fix this without renaming the applicable files and folders. After a month or so the user came back to the site and found that some things no longer worked; ie, "image not found."

Well we trouble shot this together and what I have found out is this. The user can access folders with spaces in the name on my Windows 2000 Server using Windows XP IE 6. But they cannot access any images that have spaces in them. He can access files (non-image) with spaces in them but not images. And he cannot access images whose files do NOT have spaces in them but lie in folders which do. This only happens with image files.

So I am wondering has Microsoft released an update recently to IE 6 that could be resulting in this issue?

Thanks.

He can access files (non-image) with spaces in them but not images.
And he cannot access images whose files do NOT have spaces in
them but lie in folders which do. This only happens with image files.

Check that your File Type associations for images have doublequotes.

I just did a check on my XPsp2 with

ftype | find /i "shimgvw"

and found that none of them have doublequotes by default
so I would expect that I could see your symptom too.

But I would only expect to see it for local files.
Files from the Internet could be coded with %20 replacing
each space, thus making the doublequotes around the file
placeholder unnecessary.

Try watching what is going on using RegMon and FileMon.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

At my website I have both paths and images with spaces in them. Not a lot like this but a few. A user tried these areas before and
had no issues. Why I have the spaces is a long story and I can basically fix this without renaming the applicable files and
folders. After a month or so the user came back to the site and found that some things no longer worked; ie, "image not found."

Well we trouble shot this together and what I have found out is this. The user can access folders with spaces in the name on my
Windows 2000 Server using Windows XP IE 6. But they cannot access any images that have spaces in them. He can access files
(non-image) with spaces in them but not images. And he cannot access images whose files do NOT have spaces in them but lie in
folders which do. This only happens with image files.

So I am wondering has Microsoft released an update recently to IE 6 that could be resulting in this issue?

Thanks.

Hi Robert. I had him send me the source of the page where the issue was occurring. I noticed the links in the page were just as I wrote them. Since these are images loaded by an applet he could not right click the image and tell me the URL he was getting. He just got notice in the status bar "images not found" while the applet was attempting to load.

What I did was change the location of the images to:

Response.Write("<param name=""image" & (i + 1) & """ value=""" & Replace(strRoot,Chr(32),"%20") & arrFace(i) & "/" & arrImage(i) & """ valuetype=""ref"" type=""image/gif""/>" & vbCrLf)

It's not necessary to to explain all the arrays here just that you can see how I compensated for the spaces; ie Chr(32). I just explictily set them to %20 and that fixed his issue. I could do the same thing for image names haven't yet but will.

This issue just came right of the blue. I been using:

Response.Write("<param name=""image" & (i + 1) & """ value=""" & strRoot & arrFace(i) & "/" & arrImage(i) & """ valuetype=""ref"" type=""image/gif""/>" & vbCrLf)

No troubles.
And then this came up

OK your solution looks to be a client one which I really don't have access to. But thanks for that to look at. You know I have another XP SP? that doesn't do this at all. Maybe SP2 for I am sure that other one is NOT at SP2. Hmmm....I think I am going to have to ask that person I mentioned to tell me his SP version. I bet that is it.

Back