Sometimes it start Disabled despite protection settings

  • Start date Start date

Sometimes it start Disabled despite having everything enabled in the
Real-time protection settings.

Also strange, the tool-tip that show up passing the mouse pointer over the
MSA icon in the tray bar tells "Active" while right-clicking in the icon show
the shortcut menu that tells "Security Agent Status (Disabled)".

My International settings are Italian.

Trying doing a repair:
You can repair Windows AntiSpyware using Add or Remove Programs in Control
Panel. Click Microsoft AntiSpyware and click Change. Click Next, and then
click Update.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Gianni1962 Piacenza Italy" <Gianni1962 Piacenza
news:[email protected]...

I have tryed more, I have removed it from my system, rebooted and then
reinstalled using the installation file currently available in dowload from
the MS site.
I have done the setup keeping the default options.
After tree/four restart of the system is happend again!

Gianni

Hi Andre, thanks for every your response.

Same behavior.

Anyway I can live with this, simply every time I start windows I must check
for the status of MSA and Enable it if necessary.

I write here to share bugs/difficulties with MS staff, in the intent to
correct them in future releases of the product.

Anyway I'm asking: I'am alone with these problems?

1) Sometimes MSA starts disabled despite it is configured with ALL Enabled

2) When this happens, the tooltip on the MSA icon in the toolbar tells it is
Active,
but right-clicking on the same icon show the truth, it is Disabled.
Why this discrepancy?

3) When just installed, the option "Display the scan results window after a
spyware scan" in the "Spyware Scan Settings" was selected, but, subsequently,
I found it deselected.
In the attempt to reactivate it, I have selected it, clicked the Save
button, but it became immediately deselected!

4) If this is non strange enough, try this:
go to the "Settings" window
click on the "Spyware Scan" icon
look at the mouse pointer when over the icons and relative text on the left
side of the window:
normally is a Hand, but when over the text "Spyware Scan" is an hourglass
and when over the relative icon is an arrow!

Gianni

And now a new annoyance.

Sometimes at startup the tray icon is missing totally.

No way to have it back, playing with the setting in Options, Settings,
General:
[x] Hide the Miscrosoft AntiSpyware icon on the system tray

Gianni

Hello Giani,

Is a XP problem!

From Francesco Saverio Ostuni:
Go to My Network Places and on the left pane and choose to hide UPnP
devices.

This will do the trick.

Regards >*< TOM >*<

:

Hi Tom, I know the problem you mention, I encountered it time ago, but it's
not this time.

Thanks anyway!

Gianni

Tom Emmelot said:
Hello Giani,

Is a XP problem!

From Francesco Saverio Ostuni:

:

1) Open up a command prompt (start -> run -> cmd)
2) Type in the following "regsvr32 msvbvm60.dll" (without the quotes).
3) Close and re-open Windows AntiSpyware

:

[...]

did you try this already?

Goto: Start/Control Panel/Add-Remove programs/MSAS
then click on support info!!!
Then click on repair!

With Regards >*< TOM >*<

:

[...]

I have not used the repair option, I have removed and reinstalled already.

Anyway, the missing icon, like the startup with Inactive protection are
intermittent problem.

Gianni

:

[...]

Hello Gianni,

are you every time on the same account when this happened and are you
log in as admin?

:

[...]

I am the only user of mine PC and my account has administrator privileges.

Gianni

:

[...]

do u use auto log on?
Sometimes when the log on go's to quick MSAS has a start up problem.
If u use a login with password, wait till all the disk reading is
stopped and then log in and look of the problem go's away, just for
testing! ;)

:

[...]

Yes, I use auto logon. But I want to remain with it.

I will try your test, just to confirm the behavior, but I prefer to
eventually launch MSAS manually to have it started, in case.

If this is a know issue of MSAS it will be corrected in a future release.

I hope also the others issue that I have found will be addressed.

Thanks Tom!

Gianni

:

[...]

Hello Ginni,

from what i have heard the Beta 2 "Defender" is much better!