Some thing very bad has happened.

  • Start date Start date

I have recently had trouble with internet explorer not loading when I click
on any of the short cuts. I have tried to load a new short cut from the
program menu but they still cannot start the program. I recently installed
mozilla from a friends recommendation and this has been the case ever since.
I have since uninstalled Mozilla but it has not helped the problem.

Please Help

Hi,
If you double-click on iexplore.exe (probably at C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer) will IE open? Is there an error message?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Steselva" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

I have been having a similar problem. I am unable to open internet explorer I
double click the icon and see the hour glass for 5 secs and it disappears
without opening the window. This started after I uninstalled Quicktime. I can
still connect to the internet using my SBC brower, but I would rather use
internet explorer for many reasons. Can some please help me. I should
probably also let you know that every time I run Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1
an adware treat called Twain Tech always appears on my liest. I check the
option for it to be removed. I am then asked to reboot my computer for the
changes to take affect. I then rerun Microsost AniSpyware Beta1 and the
adware is still on my computer. It's seems that it is reinstalled everytime I
turn on my computer. I have eTrust EZ Antivirus, Lavasoft Ad-aware 6.0,
Ad-watch 3.0, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1, Zone Alarm to protect my
computer.
My windows version is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service
Pack 2
My IE version is 6.0.2900.2180 Full Version 6.00.2900.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

I did receive a responce, but none of the advice was able to help me. I will
post it in case someone else finds it useful.

You are
very probabily infested with spyware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
versions)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
WinXP:
Get WinSockxpFix
How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
CMD
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

"Steselva" wrote in message
I have recently had trouble with internet explorer not loading when I click
on any of the short cuts. I have tried to load a new short cut from the
program menu but they still cannot start the program. I recently installed
mozilla from a friends recommendation and this has been the case ever since.
I have since uninstalled Mozilla but it has not helped the problem.

Please Help

Hi,
See your later post.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Gotitadeamor99" wrote in message
I have been having a similar problem. I am unable to open internet explorer I
double click the icon and see the hour glass for 5 secs and it disappears
without opening the window.
[snip]

Back
Top