some reports are blank

M

Mark

I will do my best at explaining this one.

I have an Access database on a network share, that database is linked via ODBC to our data on a server. We use the Access database for creating custom stuff that our current software package (Sage PFW) is not capable of providing our users with.

Everyone in the organization has a shortcut to this same database on their desktop, so they are all pointing at the same database. However the problem is that on some of the PC's when they run some reports the reports show up blank, but that same user can go to another PC and run the same reports and they show up fine. Not all of the reports show up blank just some, so the ODBC connectivity is not lost otherwise there would be an error and there would not be any data for any of the reports. I do not receive any error messages, all that happens is the report pops up and there is no data on it.

- All of the PC's have printers installed and have a default printer selected
- I first figured it was a PC issue, which it still could be, because the database works on some workstations but not others.
- It has worked in the past on these same PC's where it does not work now, maybe someone changed a setting in access on some of these PC's or something, I am not really sure
- I have tried logging in as admin and running these reports and still have the same problem so it is not a user issue

I hope this is not too confusing.
If anyone needs more information please let me know as I have never seen anything like this and have no idea why we have this problem.

Thank you,

J

Jeff Boyce

Mark

From your description, you have multiple users all trying to hit a single "front-end" on your network. This approach, while possible, leaves your application open to higher risk of corruption.

The preferred design is to install a copy of the front-end on EACH PC, and have each copy of the front-end point at the same back-end data.

Also, if you are experiencing report-related problems, there was a bug in an earlier implementation of the Track NameAutoCorrect. Open a copy of your front-end, use Tools | Options - General and make sure the Track NameAutoCorrect is un-checked.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

I have an Access database on a network share, that database is linked via ODBC to our data on a server. We use the Access database for creating custom stuff that our current software package (Sage PFW) is not capable of providing our users with.

Everyone in the organization has a shortcut to this same database on their desktop, so they are all pointing at the same database. However the problem is that on some of the PC's when they run some reports the reports show up blank, but that same user can go to another PC and run the same reports and they show up fine. Not all of the reports show up blank just some, so the ODBC connectivity is not lost otherwise there would be an error and there would not be any data for any of the reports. I do not receive any error messages, all that happens is the report pops up and there is no data on it.

- I first figured it was a PC issue, which it still could be, because the database works on some workstations but not others.
- It has worked in the past on these same PC's where it does not work now, maybe someone changed a setting in access on some of these PC's or something, I am not really sure
- I have tried logging in as admin and running these reports and still have the same problem so it is not a user issue

If anyone needs more information please let me know as I have never seen anything like this and have no idea why we have this problem.

Thank you,

M

Mark

Thanks for the info, still no luck on getting this one to work.

--
Mark

Mark

From your description, you have multiple users all trying to hit a single "front-end" on your network. This approach, while possible, leaves your application open to higher risk of corruption.

The preferred design is to install a copy of the front-end on EACH PC, and have each copy of the front-end point at the same back-end data.

Also, if you are experiencing report-related problems, there was a bug in an earlier implementation of the Track NameAutoCorrect. Open a copy of your front-end, use Tools | Options - General and make sure the Track NameAutoCorrect is un-checked.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

Thank you,

Ask a Question