SIP Password

  • Start date Start date

Just installed Windows messenger with a view to using a SIP for VOIP calls. I
have upgraded from 4.7 to 5.1 as the "Accounts" in options was not visible.
Added the draytel user account settings & details, changed the Advanced
setting as in the screen shots on the www.draytel.org site. But at no point
can I locate a way of adding the password to the SIP account. Therefore it
will not athenticate on the SIP site. On the Draytel Screen shots it gives a
picture of a user name and password. I have installed 5.1 on 2 PCs with no
success. I have used counterpaths X lite software and it all worked correctly.
Any thoughts so I can use a Microsoft solution would be appreciated.

Hello, Zehety!

You wrote on Fri, 20 Jan 2006 04:26:02 -0800:

Z> But at no point can I locate a way of adding the password to the SIP
Z> account. Therefore it will not athenticate on the SIP site. On the

You can try to use Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Advanced -> Manage passwords,
add there a name of SIP server, login and password.

Thank you for your reply, I ventured to a part of windows I have not seen
before so interesting as a reply. But there was no SIP server. So I added
draytel.org and the user name and password which insisted on being in an
[email protected] format than just the six digits. But it still cam back and
said I was not signed in.

As a further clue to you, If I go to actions and ask to start a voice
conversation then select "Other" and then "Select the service that this
person uses" I only have a choice of .NET Messenger Service. Is that because
the service is not loaded or because I am not logged in to the SIP?

Kind regards Simon

Hello, Zehety!

You wrote on Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:01:27 -0800:

Z> Thank you for your reply, I ventured to a part of windows I have not
Z> seen before so interesting as a reply. But there was no SIP server.

How this could be there is no SIP server? draytel.org is your SIP server, actually.
Have you seen this link?
http://www.draytel.org/software_setup.html#winmess

Uncheck the box near .NET passport account, and check it only near SIP communication account.
There under the Advanced button you'll see your server settings.

Z> So I added draytel.org and the user name and password which insisted on
Z> being in an
Z> [email protected] format than just the six digits. But it still cam back
Z> and said I was not signed in.

Z> As a further clue to you, If I go to actions and ask to start a voice
Z> conversation then select "Other" and then "Select the service that this
Z> person uses" I only have a choice of .NET Messenger Service. Is that
Z> because the service is not loaded or because I am not logged in to the
Z> SIP?

This means you're logged in .NET/MSN network instead of SIP network.

The draytek site is where I got the how I can do all you say in regards to
changeing the setting in advanced where I added "draytel.org" BUT

If you go to the page you mentioned I dont get anything you see from the line#
"Next, sign into Windows Messenger, using the account details you set up"

So no password option!

Also when you press start a voice option there is no Communtication Service.
But I have filled in the SIP Communications Service Connection Configuration
just as discribed in that page!

When I do log in to the SIP server is comes back after 60 seconds with a
message.

You have been signed out of SIP Communications Service because that service
has been temporarily shut down. Please try again later.

I feel that it is if the Communications Service is not installed properly as
you confirm I have gone through the actions to set it up correctly.

Simon

Greetings Simon,

I believe this functionality was changed significantly enough in Windows Messenger 5.1 to
break these "hacks" (it's not intended that you use the SIP based support in Windows
Messenger as a SIP phone but it used to work).

Instead just use SJPhone, the instructions are on that page as well; it's what I use for this
stuff:
http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger

That answers the mystery of why it cant work, thanks I shall give up with
that project and use a third party software solution.

Hi,

To be fair, most other SIP phones (including SJPhone) are light-years ahead of this hack in
Windows Messenger. I'm not quite sure why so many people want to do it that way when other
options are available.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger
Associate Expert
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2006 Jonathan Kay.

Simply because I need to hop from PC to PC without adding extra software, bad
example in a compamy. Also if you have messenger open to talk to the kids its
one program less. But if it cant be done lets leave it alone.

Thanks to all for trying!

Hello, Zehety!

You wrote on Sun, 29 Jan 2006 02:19:27 -0800:

Z> The draytek site is where I got the how I can do all you say in regards
Z> to changeing the setting in advanced where I added "draytel.org" BUT
Z> If you go to the page you mentioned I dont get anything you see from the
Z> line# "Next, sign into Windows Messenger, using the account details you
Z> set up"
Z> So no password option!

If you already set password in Control panel -> User Accounts -> Advanced -> Manage passwords, then it will not ask you for a password.
Look there for draytel.org server name.

Z> Also when you press start a voice option there is no Communtication
Z> Service. But I have filled in the SIP Communications Service Connection
Z> Configuration just as discribed in that page!
Z> When I do log in to the SIP server is comes back after 60 seconds with a
Z> message.
Z> You have been signed out of SIP Communications Service because that
Z> service has been temporarily shut down. Please try again later.

If SJphone (from post below) connects well while windows messenger fails, there is a problem in the interoperability of messenger and draytel.org. Probably draytel.org implements SIP incorrectly.

I disagree with the Jonathan Kay's opinion about 'hack' of messenger, messenger is quite good at working with all SIP services that I've already seen (I've my own SIP server, and tried to connect to sipnet.ru and some other 'free' SIP providers).

Hi Zehety

Like you I would prefer to use what is already on my PC and I have made a
bit of progress on this topic. I have XP SP2 and my WM version 4.7 did not
have the Accounts tab. So I re-installed it from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp , not the big
button but the link at the foot of the web page. This warned me it was an
earlier version (4.7 (4.7.2009)) and gave me an Accounts tab (but no user
name or password box).

So I then tried all the things suggested in this thread but to no avail,
including entering a password in the User Accounts -> Advanced -> Manage
passwords section, and also setting my router to forward the ports listed at
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/configuration.php?show_conf=xlite .

After this I gave up and installed X-Lite from http://www.xten.com/index.php?menu=download which took all of 20 mins
and worked first time with my sipgate number.

If anyone finally cracks this Windows Messenger issue please post it here!

Back
Top