Show menus and database window

  • Start date Start date

Hello everyone, I feel like such an idiot. I was trying to make a form with
no editability by users. I went to the startup options and unchecked
everything just to see what would happen. unfortunately I did what I set out
to do, and now I can not get the database window or tool bars, or design view
back. Does anyone have any ideas? I did not back it up first.

Greg Snidow wrote in message
Hello everyone, I feel like such an idiot. I was trying to make a form with
no editability by users. I went to the startup options and unchecked
everything just to see what would happen. unfortunately I did what I set out
to do, and now I can not get the database window or tool bars, or design view
back. Does anyone have any ideas? I did not back it up first.

Try opening the db while holding the Shift key.

Hello everyone, I feel like such an idiot. I was trying to make a form with
no editability by users. I went to the startup options and unchecked
everything just to see what would happen. unfortunately I did what I set out
to do, and now I can not get the database window or tool bars, or design view
back. Does anyone have any ideas? I did not back it up first.

Hold down the Shift key as you open the database, or....
Press F11 while it's open (unless someone has disabled the F keys).

Thanks, that worked. I also found that it copied itself with full menus. I
guess it knew I would not be able to do anything after I did what I did, and
would need a fully operational copy.

....and, btw, if you want the *data* in a form to be un-editable, set the
form's RecordSource property to Snapshot. if you want the form's *structure*
to be un-editable by your users, then split the database into a backend
database (tables only) and frontend database (all other objects), link the
tables into the frontend, convert the frontend into an MDE file (keep the
*master* fe as a .mdb, so you can make structural changes), and distribute
the fe database to your users.

hth

Back
Top